Vibration on the highway has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 SLT
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi there,
My new to me Ram 1500 4x4 has developed an issue. Long story short, i bought the truck with bad ball joints, the bad balljoints trashed one of the tires (out of round) and caused a vibration/hop on the front end. (Got a whole new moog front end put in) To make sure it was a bad tire that caused the vibration, it was moved to the drivers side rear of the truck, and then went for a drive, and saw that the vibration moved to the rear of the truck. Drove like that (poor idea) for maybe 2 weeks, and just a few day ago, i got brand new tires put on, and the vibration was still there.... from the rear driver side. I did a tire rotation and re-balancing, and its still there!! So what could cause the hop/vibration that mimics and out of round wheel on one side on the back of a pickup.... it doesn't look like any of the leaf springs are broken... Im stumped :emotions133:
Any suggestions?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it on acceleration or deceleration or constant

Last edited:
OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On acceleration, deceleration and constant. Only usually when doing between 60-100 kph. Otherwise I don't feel it. I have new rancho RS 5000's on the the back. Might try a new shock, and maybe new leaf spring bushings?

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also, It gets much less pronounced with weight in the vehicle, but is still noticeable. I can see the one side of the back in my truck hopping in the rear view mirror.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
My first thought is that the worn tire could've messed up some axle bearings, specifically the outside bearing. Jack the side of the truck up that's having the issue and try to shake the wheel yourself. If it moves noticeably at all then that is your problem. Sucks that you're having this issue man, has the rear end, to your knowledge, ever been serviced or rebuilt?

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is no movement in the wheel bearing, I checked that. My thought is that I damaged the leaf spring hangars, leaf springs or u-bolts. My bottom leaf is starting to walk out a bit, and it wasn't that way before. Also, I worry about a bent axle too, but wouldn't that only become more and more pronounced with both weight and speed?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Maybe a bad shock(s)?

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe I'll try changing out my rancho's for something better

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Sounds like the symptoms of a bent axle to me.

How would one go about checking this?
What kind of tires are you running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk