Violent drivers side rear end bounce.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 SLT
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck is driving me insane. Under 50 kph its wonderful, between 60-70 kph and randomly over 80kph one side of the back of the truck starts bouncing, to the point where i pulled over because i thought it was going to bounce off. It seems to be worse on downhills especially. Its just bizarre, goes from perfectly smooth, to shaking my teeth out intermittently. Tried new ranchos, and new Bilsteins, inspected the leaf packs, no broken leafs, new tires that have been balanced, and rotated multiple times trying to pinpoint the issue. Any thoughts? I love this truck to bits, but i have Vehicular OCD, to the point where i changed my exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets in the dark and rain because they started to tick, and the bounce has me going mental and worried about my good (For now) u-joints and other rear end components breaking....

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, no clue, but I hope you figure it out soon.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the leaf bushings, and shackle bushings. Also, put jack stands under the rear axle, so the wheels/tires are off the ground. Look for play in the wheels and axles.

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive checked for play in the wheels and axles, and their is none. What should I do to check my leaf bushings and shackle bushings? or is it just a visual check?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
aftermarket wheels?, spacers, yes or no, hub centric? tire size?, stock height?, no? lifted? lowered? any other mods?

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stock Wheels, Stock tire size, stock height. stock stock stock.
Just heard a random tidbit from a friend with an f150, something about having an overly tightened parking brake or parking brake pad separating and causing a shaking/bounce. Does anybody fathom how that would cause a bounce? I am almost certain that they are overly tightened on the one side that bounces. Also noticed a small bit of melted rubber on the outer edge of the rim? Idea's?

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the leaf bushings, and shackle bushings. Also, put jack stands under the rear axle, so the wheels/tires are off the ground. Look for play in the wheels and axles.

Just visually check to make sure the rubber hasn't rotted out. As for the parking brake, yes it could cause funny behavior. Where is the melted rubber on the outside of the rim?

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Melted rubber was on the very edge of the rim, on the brim, right before the physical tire. I have an odd feeling that it is the parking brake though... need to adjust it tomorrow and see if that helps. The bushings are in good shape, the truck is low mileage and hasn't towed and been loaded a lot...

OP
OP
hemibaby

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
35 psi all round. double checked with 2 gauges