Weird knocking noise from rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's an 03 dodge ram hemi and when I slide around a turn or do a doughnut it makes a knocking noise near the rear end like my leaf springs or something. I know my ball joints are bad in the front an are making a popping noise but it's not them. And I doubt I have any slack in my pinion gear or anything cause if I do a straight burnout it doesn't make that noise. I have put drop shackles on and dropped the helper spring and replaced shocks

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
figured it out that the shorter shackles and worn out leafs is whats causing it. the shackles are hitting the shackle mount on the frame when I flex it out a little bit

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The springs have a lot of wrap that produces axle hop. Really need some kind of traction (axle) control to keep the drivetrain lined up properly or you are going to seriously damage the drive shaft and whatever else that's getting loaded and unloaded. Moe's snubbers, Caltrac, long bars or anything similar. Take a look at the Viper spring snubber setup it will save you money and increase performance. Good luck...

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The springs have a lot of wrap that produces axle hop. Really need some kind of traction (axle) control to keep the drivetrain lined up properly or you are going to seriously damage the drive shaft and whatever else that's getting loaded and unloaded. Moe's snubbers, Caltrac, long bars or anything similar. Take a look at the Viper spring snubber setup it will save you money and increase performance. Good luck...
I put my stock spring setup on today and the springs sit flat on the helper spring guessing they are just worn out. I did that so I don't hit the bumpstops every bump and the mcgauphys shackles I got still hit the mount on the frame when the springs are fully compressed so that is the knocking noise I here pulling into my driveway. I shouldn't have any axle wrap with the stock setup though but maybe wheel hop since the suspension is so stiff where the main springs are sitting on the helper spring

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I put my stock spring setup on today and the springs sit flat on the helper spring guessing they are just worn out. I did that so I don't hit the bumpstops every bump and the mcgauphys shackles I got still hit the mount on the frame when the springs are fully compressed so that is the knocking noise I here pulling into my driveway. I shouldn't have any axle wrap with the stock setup though but maybe wheel hop since the suspension is so stiff where the main springs are sitting on the helper spring

These springs don't have any real arch to them and they certainly not stiff IMO. Here is a picture of mine. Maybe you can post up a picture of yours with the weight of the truck on them.
caltracweb.jpg

OP
OP
J

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
These springs don't have any real arch to them and they certainly not stiff IMO. Here is a picture of mine. Maybe you can post up a picture of yours with the weight of the truck on them.
caltracweb.jpg
I wil but the reason my is so stiff is cause I have my helper spring on too and they sit flat on it so the only give in the suspension is when the helper spring bends which is a whole lot harder since it is so much thicker than the other springs