What ball joints do I need.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 07 2500 HD Ram 5.9. I know I need to replace my ball joints and with the assistance of some guys I work with I should be able to complete. However I can not determine what ball joints to buy. It seems that depending where I look, an entire set (2 upper and 2 lower) can cost anywhere from $80 to $600 or more. I want to replace the ball joints with a good upper quality ball joint, but I don't need them to be "special". What should I look for? Thanks.
New guy.

amenges

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO the offset, AKA "adjustable" ball joints are a waste. Those came out several years ago and although they do say that they provide a closer alignment, I don't think it justifies the added cost.

Your OEM ball joints are not offsets. I'd look for a reliable brand and look for ball joints with grease fittings to grease up every oil change or so. I HATE how OEM ball joints are not serviceable. Personally, I like either Moog brand or Napa Premium. I stay away from part store brands (autozone=duralast), etc.

Good luck!

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I replaced my uppers with Napa gold series, lifetime warranty and greasable unlike the oem ones. Everything else I replaced I used moog.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
moog. in a year with less than 6k of driving i went through 2 sets from 1aauto and another set of mevotechs before swapping everything to moog. no problem since and 20k later. huge difference in tightness felt immediately. so 3 sets of non moogs sucked in 6k miles. Thats hubs, upper arm w/joint, lower ball joint, tie rod end, swaybar bushings.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't have wasted my money on any ball joints. I did it right with the uppers and just bought new control arms, but I wish I would have done the same thing on the lowers as well. If I would have bought the Mevotech lower control arms complete, I would have saved a lot of time, a ton of effort and a little money in the end. They're under $100 each and come with all new ball joints and bushings. I ended up needing new bushings, which were $40 a side and I broke a lower shock stud and it's only available through Dodge at $12 each.

Then there's the aggravation of pressing the old ball joints out and pressing the new ones in. If I would have just bought the entire lower control arm, I could have done each side in 30 minutes.