What can I use to quiet the road noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I"m driving around today and decided to go through a touch free car wash. As I was pulling into the bay I was having the undercarriage washed and I have to say it sounded very tinny and very thin. I have had a few trucks in my day and never remember that sound when washing the bottom. Is there anything I can spray on to reduce interior noise from the road and car washes?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
strip the interior and get some dynamat or what ever is used now a days

Jluge2615

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You notice noise when driving or just in car wash when something hitting it directly?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd do dynamat of the floor.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mostly just in the car wash. I hear road noise through the doors and the usual places. I need to replace the weather stripping as well. Honestly stripping the interior sounds like allot of work. Perhaps when I get ready to put my leather covers on would be a good time. I saw something on "trucks" the other day that was a spray on and paintable.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, Dynamat, Hush mat, there is a variety of peal and stick products that will help a LOT with this.

I bought a product a few years ago called BreadBoard (I think?) from Canada. Far cheaper, and seems to work just as well. I ordered WAY to much, and have actually deadened 3 truck interiors and still have enough to do my current Reg Cab.

Pick a nice warm weekend to do it, take your time, and be sure to press it all down good n hard. Don't get in a rush, and don't be concerned with covering every little bit of sheet metal. The large flat areas are the ones that will allow the most sound in.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill look into that stuff. Thanks. So you've done a few trucks with this stuff? Did you find it made a big difference? I also drive a 2005 Cadillac STS and that is so quiet I can't hear any outside noise and I'd like to get close to that level if possible.

ron-333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a cheap alternative to Dynomat that I have used with quite a bit of success. I got some stuff from Lowes called "Peel and Seal" which appears very similar to Dynomat, but much less expensive! I used it on my 2nd Gen I had and it took all of the tinny sound out of my doors. I also used it on the underneath of the truck to deaden road noise and some of the harsh exhaust tones at various rpm's. The inside of the truck was quite a bit quieter and it didn't cost very much at all to do. I was very happy with the results! Here's a link to the stuff: Shop Peel & Seal 6" x 25' Mastic Roof Coating at Lowes.com Since it's so inexpensive, you can use as mush as you want without breaking the bank!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill look into that stuff. Thanks. So you've done a few trucks with this stuff? Did you find it made a big difference? I also drive a 2005 Cadillac STS and that is so quiet I can't hear any outside noise and I'd like to get close to that level if possible.

Yes I have. I did a '95 Dakota, and a '98 and '00 Ram. I found it to make a notable difference. Will it be Cadillac quiet, no. Will it be far better, Yes.

The most notable difference was the decrease in 'tire noise' like when you change to grooved concrete from asphalt, or new to old asphalt. The road noise is just greatly reduced, makes the stereo sound a lot more clear and crisp as well.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Mostly just in the car wash. I hear road noise through the doors and the usual places. I need to replace the weather stripping as well. Honestly stripping the interior sounds like allot of work. Perhaps when I get ready to put my leather covers on would be a good time. I saw something on "trucks" the other day that was a spray on and paintable.

I believe that was lizard skin
Sound Control Insulation : Lizardskin

My dad is having it put in his 69 GTS
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's great. I'll look into some stuff. I found Fat mat out there that didn't seem terribly expensive as well as a few others that were around $1-sq/ft and I saw an estimate of 144 sq/ft to cover the interior completely. I have seen 40mil and 50mil stuff would this be a huge difference in sound ?

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also Plasti-Dip it, either from the spray can or paint it on from a can. It actually is a damn good sound insulator...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's so nice and warm. I was tempted to start this project for this weekend. It's supposed to snow by Sunday. Darn. Maybe in... JULY!