What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Yeah, the lumen ones. So basically, unless I want to retrofit a the bulbs in a spec-d to make it reliable (which I don't and it'll cost alot) I'm looking at lumen or depo since spyder = recon and those aren't the greatest and don't fit well.

How's the output and disparity of running/brake brightness on those lumen tails?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

They are about as bright as the recon style, but the difference between parking lights nd brake light is very noticeable on these unlike the recon and sonar ones

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
And don't mistake what im saying as the recon/sonar ones are bad, i have them on both of my show trucks, but there is definitely better than them, which is why im changing tails on my black truck and taking these off...

65b80cdd1f129294b757c57347e4cfa0.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes they do, but dam the elbow grease you need to sand them and prep properly. This is what I got so far

View attachment 125858

I used a dremel with a cutting wheel and sanding disks. Then I used some bondo filler (not actual bondo body filler, it’s the little soft tube of the bondo spot patch) to fill in all the nicks and scratches and sanded it smooth. The filler smoothes our way nicer then the plastic will

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
And i been running these sonar for years, only reason i dont change em is simply because I colormatched them to my truck...

c6c51e82f12780321975d7fbf30b5cbf.jpg

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
They are about as bright as the recon style, but the difference between parking lights nd brake light is very noticeable on these unlike the recon and sonar ones
And don't mistake what im saying as the recon/sonar ones are bad, i have them on both of my show trucks, but there is definitely better than them, which is why im changing tails on my black truck and taking these off...

65b80cdd1f129294b757c57347e4cfa0.jpg
And i been running these sonar for years, only reason i dont change em is simply because I colormatched them to my truck...

c6c51e82f12780321975d7fbf30b5cbf.jpg

I'm not trying to burn people's eyes out, mind you.... I've been behind lights that bright. It sucks.

I think the lumen will serve me well. Unless you think I should go depo for that extra brightness buffer once they're painted over like yours. (not 100% sure I'll do that, though)

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I'm not trying to burn people's eyes out, mind you.... I've been behind lights that bright. It sucks.

I think the lumen will serve me well. Unless you think I should go depo for that extra brightness buffer once they're painted over like yours. (not 100% sure I'll do that, though)

If you are going to do a solid tint over weather it be color match or dark smoke then get the depo, they put the most light and will have the best shine through on heavy tint, otherwise go woth the lumen if you like the look more

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Finally got the console back in the truck! And the shifter is mounted. I may mess around with actually getting this hooked up to my current trans. I even took a quick drive around the neighborhood getting for a feel for how it will shift later. I LOVE IT! Can’t wait to have a fully manual trans to drive around, no more gear hunting for me! PATC finally shipped my kit today, took them like 5 days. Oh well. Next is finishing the painting and trying to fix a hole on the one side of the dash where it doesn’t quite line up. I want this to look almost factory when it’s done
960b6bebbd1e43ddb038c516de8b136b.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

That looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
If you are going to do a solid tint over weather it be color match or dark smoke then get the depo, they put the most light and will have the best shine through on heavy tint, otherwise go woth the lumen if you like the look more
**** it. The depos don't look bad. If they're too bright, that just means the ******* can see them better. And I'll have plenty of leeway for darkening them up.

:crazy:

Ron Morell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
couldn't have said it better, mine stay out on my 3/4 ton because, wait for it, i tow a trailer, and i refuse to fold my mirrors down between tows just to please those that get butthurt over a side mirror of a truck lol

but i will say it is fun to cruise in my show truck 2" off the ground, with my mirrors flipped up and just watch the rage build up in people, LOL

It really fascinates me how pissed off people get when it comes to something on someone elses truck that has absolutely no effect on their life.
They look fine flipped up on 3/4 but on the 1/2 they look funny as hell. I'm not mad or upset in the least by it, I actually enjoy the laugh I get when I see people that have never towed any thing driving around with them flipped up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
They look fine flipped up on 3/4 but on the 1/2 they look funny as hell. I'm not mad or upset in the least by it, I actually enjoy the laugh I get when I see people that have never towed any thing driving around with them flipped up.

see that argument there is what makes me laugh, on a 3rd gen ram the only way to tell if a truck is a 3/4 ton or a half ton is to count the lug nuts, so 3 more lug nuts dont change the look of the truck IMO...

now i agree a truck needs a certain look to pull off the flipped up mirror look, a bone stock 1500 doesn't look right with them flipped up, i think ultimately what will really decide on your average truck is the wheel choice.

I will admit you can usually tell the obvious ones who have never pulled a trailer and i get a laugh out of it, but if i flip my mirrors out on my blue show truck one would assume that truck has never towed and they would be very sadly mistaken, so then it pretty much falls back on how the truck itself looks and the vibe it puts off

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Y’all adding 27 extra pages to this thread of led taillight nitpicking, an I’m happy with my $97 dollar led ebay tails... lol

lol, it boils down to one simple choice, which look do you like the best ;)

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Y’all adding 27 extra pages to this thread of led taillight nitpicking, an I’m happy with my $97 dollar led ebay tails... lol
The sad thing is I'm positive we've had this conversation before answering the same questions from the same person...
Drove her today to work and she was acting up bad. Had a mechanic look at it and he thinks my timing chain might be lose and that I should change it all out. Thoughts?

Saturday I might set the crank at TDC and pop the valve covers to check the marks and check for slack in the chain....

Meanwhile my post gets ignored. [emoji852]

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
The sad thing is I'm positive we've had this conversation before answering the same questions from the same person...Meanwhile my post gets ignored. [emoji852]

if you have the 4.7 then it may be a bad timing chain guide, they are just crap plastic, whats it doing, why do you think its the timing chain? any codes?

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have the 4.7 then it may be a bad timing chain guide, they are just crap plastic, whats it doing, why do you think its the timing chain? any codes?

No codes. Intermittent bucking/Misfire. Replaced cam and crank sensors, coils, plugs, egr, TPS. When I first start her up strong fuel smell and my gas mileage is utter $hit.

I'm at 175k.

Last edited: