Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions


General Discussions

What did you do to your Gen3 today?


This is a discussion on What did you do to your Gen3 today? within the General Discussions forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Originally Posted by DietDodge My truck has leaked from the timing cover gasket, the temp sensor, the water pump gasket, ...


Like Tree4471Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #7931 (permalink)
 
ramportin1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oregon
Age: 30
Posts: 1,035

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
My truck has leaked from the timing cover gasket, the temp sensor, the water pump gasket, the upper hose, and the radiator cap... I've replaced all of them and it's still leaking. I'm about to quit
Noooooooo don't give up on her lol. Sorry man, leaks are a B*$ch. Have you tried the baby powder trick? It's messy for sure but it'll show you exactly where a leak is coming from

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
DietDodge likes this.


Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.


__________________
07 RAM 1500 ONE OF ONE BIG HO EDITION
ramportin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #7932 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Miami Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 585

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 v8
Default
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
short bed 6'4'' , 2003 thru 2008. 3rd gen ram 1500,2500,3500.


Can you show me some pics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #7933 (permalink)
 
ST-8's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Name: Mario
Age: 27
Posts: 1,942

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by DietDodge View Post
My truck has leaked from the timing cover gasket, the temp sensor, the water pump gasket, the upper hose, and the radiator cap... I've replaced all of them and it's still leaking. I'm about to quit
My buddy has been fighting similar problems with his 2nd gen 360. Been leaking oil an coolant


__________________
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 ST- 5.7L RCSB
SC 3865- Comp 260- 6.1 springs- 6.1 pushrods- Pacesetter coated LT's- Bfi #42- 4.56s- oem lsd unit- junkyard 4.7 trans an converter- 3/4.5 drop
ST-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #7934 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 167

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: Magnum 5.9
Default
Got the old temp sensor out, maybe the reason it wasn't working was because it was in TWO SEPARATE PIECES. Also I would like to extend a big F.U. to Daimler Chrysler for putting the sensor UNDERNEATH the alternator so that when it inevitably sprays coolant is tries to take the whole truck down with it. I'm mad, I want a new car, I can't afford it, so I'm stuck with this POS. Welp.... time to go all out on this project or what?
DietDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #7935 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 196

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 5.7
Default
It is a 15 year old truck. Things wear out. You replace them as they do. I have the same truck and it ranks up there as one of the best I have owned. Maintain them and they last forever. Neglect them and they will leave you stranded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
bulrid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #7936 (permalink)
 
rocket's Avatar
Supporting Member

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: connecticut
Name: Bill
Age: 55
Posts: 14,674

Ram Year: 2006 Nightrunner
Engine: HEMI 5.7
Default
my radio is going fast.....I really like the steering wheel controls....if I upgrade I lose them....might just get another oem radio.....big decision for me.


__________________
'06 NIGHTRUNNER
black truck # 13

Bedrug ,Access tonneau cover,Blue Halogen headlights, LED fogs, Leveled Bilstein 5100's,custom exhaust side dumped before the r/r wheel,Afe cai,Superchipped,POWERWIRE,35''Goodyear Duratracs,Monroe sensa- trac,Electric train horn
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #7937 (permalink)
 
ramportin1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oregon
Age: 30
Posts: 1,035

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
my radio is going fast.....I really like the steering wheel controls....if I upgrade I lose them....might just get another oem radio.....big decision for me.
They make a harness to retain all stock controls for a aftermarket stereo. I have it in mine and all controls work perfectly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
rocket likes this.


__________________
07 RAM 1500 ONE OF ONE BIG HO EDITION
ramportin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #7938 (permalink)
 
Demon-HeMi's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Name: Daniel
Posts: 2,615

Ram Year: 2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine: (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Default
Well ive been quiet about one of mine, but i figure ill give the update...

Many know i did yet another motor swap on my black 03 project since the last motor swapped in wasnt compatible with my computer in the truck



So i did alot of cross referencing and found out that a 03 Jeep Liberty motor is a compatible match for my truck...

Fast forward to last friday, motor swap day...



New motor installed and on the home stretch now...



Or so I thought....

I get the top of the motor all buttoned up, ready to go and my buddy helping me is struggling to get the trans bolted up, we have all the holes lined up but the trans just wont seat fully against the engine...

Well long story short, we find out that the 03 liberty came with two different transmissions and it was dependent on if you had an early 03 or not, and apparently my donor jeep was an early 03 and didnt have the same trans as me.

The problem is the knub on my torque converter...



The one right in the middle here, wont slip into the slot on the crank like its supposed to, the slot on my motor is about a 1/2" too small in diameter....

So here we are, my truck is sitting at my shop, in pieces with the transmission in the bed...

Im at an all time high frustration level with this truck and im about 90% set on just dumping the project and starting over, I already have a few leads on other reg cab 3rd gens im working on, my buddy wants me to give it just a little bit more fight so in a last bit effort, im talking to a local trans shop to see if there is a torque converter that can fit my situation, if that doesnt pan out i have a friend that works in a machine shop that can shave the half inch off the needed area on my torque converter....

So dont be suprised if you never hear about this truck again because im just a hair away from stripping it and crushing it....




Hate to give up on what will potentially be a beautiful black reg cab but almost 2 years of work, 2 motor swaps of non compatible motors and how hard it is to find a reasonable motor for an 03, i may just kill this project off...

but i will say that im impressed with how that original black paint from 2003 shined up with almost 20 hours worth of polishing on the driver side


__________________
Dodge Ram Lighting/Wiring Expert - Daniel
"Never Doubt the Demon"

RamForum.com Moderator
New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!
2003 1500 HEMI QC Show Truck 5/12 Slam W/ Custom paint
2003 1500 RC Under Construction
2008 2500 6spd HEMI
2013 Ram RC v6 8spd


Last edited by Demon-HeMi; 11-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Demon-HeMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #7939 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Miami Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 585

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 v8
Default
Originally Posted by Demon-HeMi View Post
Well ive been quiet about one of mine, but i figure ill give the update...

Many know i did yet another motor swap on my black 03 project since the last motor swapped in wasnt compatible with my computer in the truck



So i did alot of cross referencing and found out that a 03 Jeep Liberty motor is a compatible match for my truck...

Fast forward to last friday, motor swap day...



New motor installed and on the home stretch now...



Or so I thought....

I get the top of the motor all buttoned up, ready to go and my buddy helping me is struggling to get the trans bolted up, we have all the holes lined up but the trans just wont seat fully against the engine...

Well long story short, we find out that the 03 liberty came with two different transmissions and it was dependent on if you had an early 03 or not, and apparently my donor jeep was an early 03 and didnt have the same trans as me.

The problem is the knub on my torque converter...



The one right in the middle here, wont slip into the slot on the crank like its supposed to, the slot on my motor is about a 1/2" too small in diameter....

So here we are, my truck is sitting at my shop, in pieces with the transmission in the bed...

Im at an all time high frustration level with this truck and im about 90% set on just dumping the project and starting over, I already have a few leads on other reg cab 3rd gens im working on, my buddy wants me to give it just a little bit more fight so in a last bit effort, im talking to a local trans shop to see if there is a torque converter that can fit my situation, if that doesnt pan out i have a friend that works in a machine shop that can shave the half inch off the needed area on my torque converter....

So dont be suprised if you never hear about this truck again because im just a hair away from stripping it and crushing it....




Hate to give up on what will potentially be a beautiful black reg cab but almost 2 years of work, 2 motor swaps of non compatible motors and how hard it is to find a reasonable motor for an 03, i may just kill this project off...

but i will say that im impressed with how that original black paint from 2003 shined up with almost 20 hours worth of polishing on the driver side


Your insane I wish my single cab was half as clean as that one donít ruin such a beautiful truck itís hard enough to find these trucks in decent condition or hadnít been an abused work truck. Online thereís a lot of companies that sell motors for our trucks Iím surprised you didnít go that route but donít give up everything will be worth it at the end.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DietDodge likes this.
02ramboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #7940 (permalink)
 
Demon-HeMi's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston
Name: Daniel
Posts: 2,615

Ram Year: 2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine: (2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Default
Originally Posted by 02ramboi View Post
Your insane I wish my single cab was half as clean as that one donít ruin such a beautiful truck itís hard enough to find these trucks in decent condition or hadnít been an abused work truck. Online thereís a lot of companies that sell motors for our trucks Iím surprised you didnít go that route but donít give up everything will be worth it at the end.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This truck was one of those abused work trucks when i got it, it was beat to hell and scratched more than you can believe, the reason i didnt buy a new motor is because the cost of one is well above the worth of the truck, im not willing to do that, honestly i have mostly time in this truck as far as that goes, i mean honestly if im going to spend over 2 grand for a motor, i might as well just buy another truck that is running for not much more than that, i have one ive been talking to thats less than 10 mins from my house and they are asking 3k for it


__________________
Dodge Ram Lighting/Wiring Expert - Daniel
"Never Doubt the Demon"

RamForum.com Moderator
New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!
2003 1500 HEMI QC Show Truck 5/12 Slam W/ Custom paint
2003 1500 RC Under Construction
2008 2500 6spd HEMI
2013 Ram RC v6 8spd

Demon-HeMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3rd gen ram modifications, dodge ram modifications


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got another box today.. Graygoose Engine & Performance 28 06-14-2012 05:31 PM
What I Did Today..... CAROLINA BAREFOOT General Discussions 17 06-23-2011 10:11 AM
CEL came on today HELP shadow11 Tech Info 17 02-08-2011 08:21 AM

<




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum