What to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Well, long story short, I need a tpcm. (the circuit board under the fuse box).
Right now I'm getting the light flash on the hid's (expected). And now a serv 4wd light. There is nothing wrong with either system 'cept they both run through the tpcm. I can get it done for 661.00$ . Or I can see if a pick an pull has one. Or I leave it go and see what happens. The dealer will give me 12/12 on the repair. At that price I would insist on wheatherproofing it. (if at all possible). This is a oxidation problem I'm sure of it. These components do not stand up too the heat and humidity, then the actic blasts every year. least thats what I'm thinking.:birgits_tiredcoffee.
I needed a reflash, Thanks (superchips), !00.00$ and a diagnostic. 85.00$. Thats how it sits. stock tune and a malfunctioning tpcm. What to do, what to do?!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Does the 661 cover the install and any flashing needed? I am trying to think what all it entails to change out, only seen 1 screw up and that was an 05 2500 that went through hell.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Yep. thats installed, The part is in Boston. I know they are not cheap, I saw on=line a uk Company that rebuilds them, They want the old one after they ship?? I asked about the rate at which he (the dealer) was getting these, He said about four a year! lucky me! FML!!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Damn, I agree though they should be alill more protected. The UK place wants yours as a core to reman and sell again.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Thats my guess. Think I'll wait till I have to call Triple A. Then get it done. Till then it's black tape and a higher volume control! Wonder what a pick an ull would want......This doesn't need a reflash I don't think, but if it did, my new sc should take care of it. The old one had issue's and was replaced. It would not tune my truck back too the stock configurations. Hence the superchip comment.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There's a yard down here that charges $28 for "computers" but I'm not sure what they'd call a tpcm

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
There's a yard down here that charges $28 for "computers" but I'm not sure what they'd call a tpcm

As with any circuit board, it is what it is. Most of the money would be for the surrounding plastic and not the board itself, imo. It has no memory, just reroutes electrical impulses. Pretty simple actually.........and aggrevating , lol.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if "baking" it would work. could be something to try on the old one

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that sucks....doesn't hurt to call pick and pull and ask.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Wonder if "baking" it would work. could be something to try on the old one

High heat= loss of oxidation?? Prolly couldn't hurt. keeping an eye on the plastic molding, which melts at or near the boiling point of water...................................................nah, Prolly wouldn't do much but waste time an energy, good guess thou, kinda wish it was a bacterium.lol.

Would the pick and pull know what I'm talking about? Better off asking for the right year and motor and go from there.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Would the pick and pull know what I'm talking about? Better off asking for the right year and motor and go from there.

More than likely not unless you talk to someone that's got experience with Rams.
If you want, I can check at a few of them here and see if they've got any and what they want for them

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
um where is this. inside the truck or under hood? If its inside the truck then I don't understand why that part would fail. its not that bad for temp extremes to hurt it inside the truck. I bet there is an underlying problem somewhere. I couldn't say without seeing it though

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
More than likely not unless you talk to someone that's got experience with Rams.
If you want, I can check at a few of them here and see if they've got any and what they want for them
Cool 15 bucks too ship, should be a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer, 'cept the warrantee part. Yeah, no hurry tex, I have plenty of time. But yeah, The nearest pic an pull for me is 225 miles away.

um where is this. inside the truck or under hood? If its inside the truck then I don't understand why that part would fail. its not that bad for temp extremes to hurt it inside the truck. I bet there is an underlying problem somewhere. I couldn't say without seeing it though

It's located directly under the fuse panel under the hood ,in front of the battery. At that location it has very little atmospheric protection. When done I'll use a non degradable plastic wrap and seal it for good.! (at least better than oem.)

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Do you know if they made different ones for different trucks? Like 2-door, 4-door, 1500, 2500 etc?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Cool 15 bucks too ship, should be a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealer, 'cept the warrantee part. Yeah, no hurry tex, I have plenty of time. But yeah, The nearest pic an pull for me is 225 miles away.

It's located directly under the fuse panel under the hood ,in front of the battery. At that location it has very little atmospheric protection. When done I'll use a non degradable plastic wrap and seal it for good.! (at least better than oem.)

ok under hood changes everything. I would suggest RTVing the new one so its sealed when you put it in.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
time to trade it in for a 4th gen :********:

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Do you know if they made different ones for different trucks? Like 2-door, 4-door, 1500, 2500 etc?

I would ask for 06-08, 5.7 liter ram.qc's or rc. I see little difference there. the 2500 uses a different frame, so it may be different in that regard.
I would think they would/should all be the same. These trucks were mass produced so they all share the same components.
Thanks txbass06.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6

heck yeah LOL

Bill buy the part and if its not hard bring it down. I'd like to see if its something we can do anyway. Save ya money. I'll help I just require food and drink as payment.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
ok under hood changes everything. I would suggest RTVing the new one so its sealed when you put it in.
until I see exactly how it's mounted.
Sure, giving up on a 06 GT 'stang wasn't enough,(earlier today); now I have to be tempted with a 4th gen! Thanks babe! lol.

OP
OP
rocket

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
heck yeah LOL

Bill buy the part and if its not hard bring it down. I'd like to see if its something we can do anyway. Save ya money. I'll help I just require food and drink as payment.

Ok, I'll get the part thru Mark, hemibabe can donate a 4th gen, and you Matt can eat n drink while I pay kristen 49,000 and mark 39.95! lmao! ha ha works for me.:********: