What to do with my 03?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
This might end up being long winded but here it goes. I love my 03 Ram. It's a HEMI QC 4x4. Right now the front is cranked up about 1.5 to 2". I am running 285/70/17 MT/Rs. It only has around 105K on it but I screwed up and the odo says 149K... The truck runs great. I think there might be a broken exhaust bolt but haven't gotten under it to check. When I bought it, I worked for a dealership so I had them replace the front ball joints and while it was apart, the front axle shafts. The interior is almost immaculate save for the standard dash crack but it's not too bad yet. So far, this truck has climbed everything I've pointed it at and honestly surprised me. Here's the rub. I am starting to get into more back country adventures and long hauls on/off road. I'm worried the truck may not be what I'm looking for as far as an expedition vehicle. Almost everywhere I turn, the Rams I see are 3/4 and up, and the older straight axle 1500s. I fully understand this as I was a hardcore Chevy K5 guy. I guess my concern may come from the fact that I have hardly seen much support for the 3rd gen 1500s as far as this goes. The wife and I love the way this rides and feels but I am almost to the point of selling it to go back to an older Chevy or buying a XJ again. I guess I'm worried that when push comes to shove, the front end won't be there for me..... Any thoughts? I've had the Ram 2 years now and still consider it new to me so I have a lot of what ifs...

ETA..... My hardcore wheeling days are over but there have been some tore up hills that I watched a stock Ford Expedition climb out at Butcher Jones here in AZ that I shy'd away from cause I was worried about the truck..

Perfect example...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1x46Ghc2Oc

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well do you have a budget of wants or needs? Budget is key because you can do a lot or a little. Are you looking for a big lift and MT tires?

OP
OP
R

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
I was just about to edit my post for that reason. As far as budget, it's a paycheck to paycheck thing. I don't think anything as far as a suspension lift if in it's near future as I don't have that kinda cash. We just paid off all the CCs so we don't wanna use them. I do want to run a larger tire, I was thinking an agressive AT in the 315 to 325 size but I dont wanna stress the front too much. They would probably fit now but I was thinking 2 or 3" BL. My main focus is reliability. I just don't wanna throw money into it if ultimately I can get something a little stronger for the same money....

OP
OP
R

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
This is my truck as it sits now:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good. Just focus on the drive train and you should be good imo. Look into treadwright tires. Awesome tires for great prices. Ive personally owned them on previous vehicles and am putting ones on my truck when I need them.
As is you might be able to run 35s but might rub a bit. With a bl you should be able to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio