What do you guys think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a guy outside of town with a truck that he is parting out. Same year same motor, but there is one difference. His front end has an axle. Now it is an IFS but its still 4x4. Theoretically. Has anyone had the front end of both trucks torn apart? What parts am I looking to buy from him? Transfer case, front drive shaft, (listed for 175 together) The I would need front cross member??, front axle, CV shafts, Spindles ( is there a difference between 4x2 and 4x4?) Brakes the same?? ummm Anything else? Even if I don't end up doing it for a while if I can get this **** for cheap from him it would be pretty sweet. And I wonder if its going to be a pretty much bolt up deal? Or a lot of custom fab work?

I really need yall help so if a MOD thinks this would get better traffic in another section please move it. I will keep you updated as this all takes place.

OE

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
you'll need the rear driveshaft as well. its a different length because of the transfer case. you'll need the torsion bars, and the frame crossmember to support the t-bars.

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what do you think a resonable price for all of this would be for a truck with nearly 100,000 miles?

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
any one have close up shots of the front end so I could see what all I am needing? And what about the spindles, does anyone know on those?

RamStrat

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
There is a guy outside of town with a truck that he is parting out. Same year same motor, but there is one difference. His front end has an axle. Now it is an IFS but its still 4x4. Theoretically. Has anyone had the front end of both trucks torn apart? What parts am I looking to buy from him? Transfer case, front drive shaft, (listed for 175 together) The I would need front cross member??, front axle, CV shafts, Spindles ( is there a difference between 4x2 and 4x4?) Brakes the same?? ummm Anything else? Even if I don't end up doing it for a while if I can get this **** for cheap from him it would be pretty sweet. And I wonder if its going to be a pretty much bolt up deal? Or a lot of custom fab work?

I really need yall help so if a MOD thinks this would get better traffic in another section please move it. I will keep you updated as this all takes place.

OE

Lol so what you're saying is your rolling around town without a front axle???

You are DAMN good!!!

Lol

JMWY

Boo Radley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 5.9
Dude, sell your truck and buy a 4x4 if you want a 4x4. I work at a dealership as a mechanic and don't even have all the equipment there needed to pull off a 4x2 to 4x4 swap.
Unless you have the knowledge and the kinda shop equipment you see on shows like Extreme 4x4, you are just gonna be shoveling **** against the tide, and spending money you could have put into a factory 4x4.

I'm not trying to **** in your corn flakes, but I've seen guys try to pull this off, waste big time cash and have a pile sitting in the yard that can't be driven.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Football! I say go for it! Ill take some shots of mine today, when I post the pics up of my drop. And as far as 4x4 VS 4X2 parts. There's some, but not a huge difference in some of the parts. Hell, I used 4x2 spindles on my front drop, just had to notch them for the beefier lower control arm.

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
you'll need to switch the frame or highly modify your stock one to work. i've looked into it. but as long as you have a winch and know your limitations 2wd could outpower a 4wd with the right driver

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The more and MOre I think about this, the worse it sounds....

I really would need a lift... and I just can't seem to think of anyone around that has one. ANd if what AParrette is saying is true about the frame... There is no way I am wanting to under take this much work just to get IFS... You know?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
What all is wrong with the 4x4? It might be easier to use your 2wd as the donor if the 4wd is what you want. I did a conversion back in the day before computers. Basically rebuilt a 4x4 rolling chassis and put my body on it.

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He told me 800 and I can take everything I need.... Damn

OP
OP
Oefootball_70

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah but I can't find any 05's with the low miles that I have on mine. If I get a new truck I will at-least go Hemi 4x4. And like they are all 150k miles and up or they are ridiculously priced.