What would a new key cost for my Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have any idea what a new key for my ram would cost. I've only ever had one and I would like to get a second key with the programming and all.

I am referring to the FOB key with the electronics and all in it.

Last edited:

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
The lock shop that i go to for my fleet vehicles charges about $80 if you have at least one key. $35 if you have two and need a third. Dealer is slightly higher...
We have had staff lose all the keys and it cost between $800 - $1000 to get the computer replaced and the locks changed.

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealership near me charges $100 for a new key and programming.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
But I think you have to have two keys in order to program that yourself?

Yes, all replacement keys require the use of two keys to self program. Otherwise you must take your new key to a locksmith, or a Dodge Dealership for programing.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told we didn't "NEED" the FOB/elec key. That, a plain ole metal key from say, cut at Walmart, would open the door and start the truck.

Is this true?

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am wondering if this discussion pertains to the new (er) push 2 start system where the key is in your pocket

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I was told we didn't "NEED" the FOB/elec key. That, a plain ole metal key from say, cut at Walmart, would open the door and start the truck.

Is this true?

I had a plain old spare key made for my '06 but if I unlock the door with it the alarm goes off. I think there is a way to disable the alarm when you exit the vehicle but I have not tried it. I made the spare just in case I lock the fob key inside the truck.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an extra (3rd) valet key but i think it only opens the door. I'll have to see if it starts the truck but im pretty sure it wont without the chip in the key.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had a spare key cut twice at China-Mart and both were crap. I had a really good spare key cut at Lowe's, it works great for opening the drivers door, but since it doesn't contain the required electronics, the ignition will not work. I had the problem of closing the doors, with the engine running, and have my doors lock automatically. You must have a key, with the electronics built in, and programed for your trucks PCM, to get your truck to start.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like i thought, It only opens the door...
Only good if you lock ur keys in the truck.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am wondering if this discussion pertains to the new (er) push 2 start system where the key is in your pocket

I am still wondering if anyone has found reasonably priced push to start type key fobs for the 14's

Nwdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2014
Engine
I have a spare uncut key I will sell. Pm me if interested. $90 shipped