Whining noise on deceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N204life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Started today out of the blue. When ever im at 35mph or above and let off the gas and start decelerating i have a loud whining noise as if i had 44" swampers with massive knobs minus the vibration. Braking and shifting into neutral do nothing to change the sound and decelerating. Is there a common problem in the rear end where bearing go out typically? I tried to get a sound clip of it but all i got was wind. Any help would be great

ol'red02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this used to happen to my jeep grand cherokee when i was low on power steering, dont know why or how it would whine when decelerating, but just a thought for ya. Also my ram used to whine upon acceleration and i ended up having to replace the rear axle because of the gears grinding out.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure, but someone that might know should be along soon to help you out.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
rear axle is most likely whineing put it on a jack stands and have somone in the truck and get it up to about 55 then let off (deaccelerate) and you get down by rear end and listen for the whine.......do it in a open space (road or parking lot incase jack stands fail) i did mine in lowes parking lot lol DO NOT PUT YOUR HEAD UNDER AXLE,incase stands fail youll be a literal flat head if you do lmao

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Honestly, could be alot of things. Like JBsaid, put it on jacks stands (SECURELY), and see what you can hear.

Funny story: When I was 17, I had a 1990 Honda CRX, and one day I kept hearing this noise. So I decided to put it on jack stands in the garage and run it up to about 60, then hop out of the car and lay under it and see what I could hear. Found the problem, but my step dad came home as I was doing this and whooped my ass from one side of the garage to the other. I wouldn't recommend that lol.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a pinion bearing. Might as well upgrade the gears while you're paying someone to reset everything.

Get a "Master Install Kit" so you're replacing ALL the diff bearings. No reason to **** around.

OP
OP
N

N204life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like a pinion bearing. Might as well upgrade the gears while you're paying someone to reset everything.

Get a "Master Install Kit" so you're replacing ALL the diff bearings. No reason to **** around.

DING DING DING It was the pinion bearing. $1200 for a full rear end rebuild with upgraded bearings.

ramin44s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
^ seems allitle high

OP
OP
N

N204life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ah not bad for the entire rear end getting rebuilt, its $200 extra for all the extra strength bearing

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Second the pinion bearings.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
By that I mean I just had to do all new bearings in rear and new seal and crush sleeve. Since there was a bunch of shavings had to put in new fluid too.
Paid $400 to do all that and pull out the pos powertrax.
$miley

Last edited:

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I hear this on mine on acceleration and deceleration, and I just hit 1000 miles. Powertrain warranty up to 100,000, I am not gonna sweat it.