Why is this gear oil so cheap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's about $1 cheaper than what I can get it for here locally, so it's not like it's stupid cheap.

The LS designates that it's designed to be used in clutch style limited slip differentials without the need for a friction modifier.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah gotcha. So since I have a LSD, I wouldn't need to buy the Mopar friction modifier? Or should I just throw some in there to be safe.

And while I'm buying it, is it cool to throw this stuff in the front too? Or should I get non "LS" for the front.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's also not the current label for Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil, so they probably bought a ton of it at a reduced price.

I would buy it.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah gotcha. So since I have a LSD, I wouldn't need to buy the Mopar friction modifier? Or should I just throw some in there to be safe.

And while I'm buying it, is it cool to throw this stuff in the front too? Or should I get non "LS" for the front.

You can use this on non-limited slip differentials with no problems.

Pre-spool in my Mustang, I still ran the friction modifier just to be safe.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome, Looks like I'll snag up a few quarts of it and get my diffs freshened up.

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I used the friction modifier when I changed my diff oil last month. Even though I used the right oil woth the LS designation I still got chatter from the rear. For the cost of the modifier it doesn't hurt to use it too.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the friction modifier when I changed my diff oil last month. Even though I used the right oil woth the LS designation I still got chatter from the rear. For the cost of the modifier it doesn't hurt to use it too.

Does the Dodge friction modifier smell as bad as the Ford stuff?

I was rebuilding the diff in the Mustang 15 years ago and you're supposed to soak the new clutches in friction modifier for a couple hours before installing them. I put them in an old coffee can, poured a bottle of modifier on them and then waited. My wife wanted to go somewhere, so I closed the garage door and left the house for a few hours with them in there soaking.

As soon as we opened the door to the house when we got back, I realized I had made a huge mistake. The entire house smelled like friction modifier for at least a week. My wife was pissed.

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It's some nasty stuff for sure lol