WOT with Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read some articles stating that WOT shift with overdrive on is bad, is this true on our trucks.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
It is the 2nd prime downshift that is bad for the transmission. Its not much of an issue unless you are pushing the 325-350rwhp range though.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you avoid shifting to 2nd prime? Or is there a way?

Thanks,

Kevin

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
I do try to avoid OD (4th and 5th) when going full WOT from idle. When you are WOT and its goes into 3rd gear then around 5k you would manually shift down to 2nd and it will lock it in 3rd and not go into 4th. Be sure to go back to D when you are done.

In regards to 2nd prime. I am a slow driver so i just try to avoid passing via 2nd prime.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
It get stricky until you get used to it. Basically, dont go WOT if you are in overdrive. Again, this is typically only an issue on the modded trucks making upwards of 340-350rwhp. Most guys below that dont have a problem.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It get stricky until you get used to it. Basically, dont go WOT if you are in overdrive. Again, this is typically only an issue on the modded trucks making upwards of 340-350rwhp. Most guys below that dont have a problem.

So, if I'm trying to pass someone on the highway at 80 MPH, I shouldn't floor it?

What the hell is the point of an automatic transmission if it can't handle shifting?! I've actually complained to the dealership about this before. Like the truck hunts around, sometimes it actually kicks it down and hauls ass (like it SHOULD) and other times, it hunts around for a second, and just slips off the OD and doesn't go anywhere fast (for a 395 HP truck).

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
on fuelly I read a tip that said on the highway, when you need to pass someone, to turn o/d off, so the revs jump, and you dont have to get on the pedal so much, and turn it back on once your past..Im thinking thats equally bad for the tranny right?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
So, if I'm trying to pass someone on the highway at 80 MPH, I shouldn't floor it?

What the hell is the point of an automatic transmission if it can't handle shifting?! I've actually complained to the dealership about this before. Like the truck hunts around, sometimes it actually kicks it down and hauls ass (like it SHOULD) and other times, it hunts around for a second, and just slips off the OD and doesn't go anywhere fast (for a 395 HP truck).

These transmissions were only made to handle the power output that the trucks come with stock. This applies to any make/model. Once you start adding power, you run the risk of doing damage to the transmission.

Unless you have extensive mods, this is not something I would worry about though. I was making 340rwhp in my 03 for over a year, and downshifted that thing multiple times every day without a problem. I didnt start having transmission issues until I added a bigger cam and started playing with my Map sensor for tuning.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
YMMV but i follow my measures to prolong my original transmission as long as i can. Goal is to get 150k+ out of the tranny which to me is great considering my mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I turned over 116,000 miles the other night. I would love to get another 100k

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2nd prime uses the same clutch pack as OD, the least strongest in the bunch. Hence the amount of torque management programmed in.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not too many people seem to know this except those of us that are savvy with Superchips trans tuning but on my 05 with adjustable shift points I successfully moved 2nd prime shift point values lower than 2nd shift point values so on a WOT OD kickdown the downshift with heavy throttle will drop into 2nd instead of 2P. There is a lot of possibilities with trans tuning. :)

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not too many people seem to know this except those of us that are savvy with Superchips trans tuning but on my 05 with adjustable shift points I successfully moved 2nd prime shift point values lower than 2nd shift point values so on a WOT OD kickdown the downshift with heavy throttle will drop into 2nd instead of 2P. There is a lot of possibilities with trans tuning. :)

Smart! Should prolong your transmission

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is it still bad if you dont put your foot all the way to WOT?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

That is good to know for when I swap PCM/wiring to the 05 setup.

hemihank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info for someone who will get a tuner before too long, good to know you can change the shift points of 2nd prime.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can the shift points be done at a dealer with a DRB?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye