Your opinion please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 3500
I have an '06 Dodge Ram 3500 dually, Cummins, 4.10, with the Big Hoss package by Banks.
I have an interesting problem. I'm hearing a whine sound coming from somewhere. The whine sounds similar to a city bus with a bad brake. However, the interesting thing is, the whine stops completely as soon as I touch the brakes.
I first noticed this on the highway. As I'm approaching my exit, I ease off the gas to gradually slow down, and right around 50-40mph, the whine starts. As soon as I touch the brake, all goes quiet and the whine is gone.

I had the brakes looked at (makes no sense to be the brakes, as the sound happens when the brakes aren't engaged), and the mechanic told me there's nothing wrong with them, and the rotors are fine.....although they COULD be replaced in the future sometime.

Anyone have any idea what could make this whine STOP when the brakes are applied? ANY input would be appreciated :)

OP
OP
A

Ara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 3500
I forgot to mention.... the rear differential housing looks like it either has a leak, or some oil dripped onto it from the top and worked it's way down to the lowest point, making it appear to have a leak. Either way, it might be worth pointing out, it might not.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
This is an odd one. If it was the brakes then it would be whining all the time. It might be from your air intake. They can sometimes put out some very weird sounds.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
It could be the intake... but this problem is recent right? A while after the intake was installed?

Where is the sound coming from? Can you pinpoint any specific location?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never owned a Cummins, but does yours have an engine break? I really don't know how they work but if it does, could that be going bad? Would sort of make sense cause it would be slowing itself down while you're approaching an exit, then as soon as you hit the brakes it would take the pressure off the engine break. Just my .02... which is almost a complete guess :p Good luck!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never owned a Cummins, but does yours have an engine break? I really don't know how they work but if it does, could that be going bad? Would sort of make sense cause it would be slowing itself down while you're approaching an exit, then as soon as you hit the brakes it would take the pressure off the engine break. Just my .02... which is almost a complete guess :p Good luck!

I did not think of that one. And it is a real possibility. The way the engine brakes work is they are supposed to block the exhaust flow to assist in slowing the vehicle down. Normally they make a lot of noise, but not a whistling. They usually activate when you get off the throttle and will deactivate when you hit the brakes, or throttle. Might think on having it looked at if you have them installed.

OP
OP
A

Ara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 3500
Yes it does have an engine break. I never even thought of that because when I first heard the whine, the type of sound it was making sounded like a brake needed replacing.
Thank you so much for pointing that out! I owe you all!!!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it does have an engine break. I never even thought of that because when I first heard the whine, the type of sound it was making sounded like a brake needed replacing.
Thank you so much for pointing that out! I owe you all!!!

No problem. The jake brake (as the exhaust brakes are called in the trucking industry) if only partially closed might make the whistling/whining sound. If it is not that I would look at the turbo charger. I worked on a boat with D9 cats. We had a turbo go out and the engine sounded like a freight train in trouble.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I could give you my best guess! I love diesels just never owned one :)

Oh and dont forget to let us know how it turns out!

Last edited: