2005 1500 air spring front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Technician07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L turbo
I have a 2005 1500 4x4 and would like to air ride the front end. Has anyone heard of this being done..?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The 4wd will make it very difficult. You would need to get a shock/air bag combo like a Shockwave II then get a set of custom upper and lower control arms. I was looking at doing it to my '09 and Michigan Metal Works was going to build the control arms for me, I just needed to send them the arms to jig from.

OP
OP
Technician07

Technician07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L turbo
I had ordered the shock waves but then didn't have access to the equipment i would need for the fabrication required to make them work so i had to send them back.... So now I am trying to do the same but a different route. I was going to cut the torsion bar and attach an air bag to it to "rotate" the bar and change the suspension height that way.... but after much consideration and bouncing my sketches off my engineering friends that idea was filed in the experimental drawer. Now I am thinking about using a non-convoluted air spring and the factory control arm with the parts I already bought. This would involve welding the mild steel lower plate to the (yikes) cast iron control arm , then removing the bump stop and welding the upper plate in its place. (see images below)

View attachment 51410

View attachment 51411

View attachment 51412

For the rear situation I'm using an air over leaf kit from Ridetech. I also not running a tank and compressor rather just a small overload compressor and 1/4 lines. I will be sssssllloooow but in not trying to make my truck dance so I'm not too concerned about the speed.