2" drop shackles show no drop?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just received my McGaugheys 2" drop shackles for my 07 ram. My height before installing them from the outside fender edge to the ground was 39.5".. after installing the drivers side shackle, I checked again and saw the same measurement. SO someone on a forum said you have to actually flip them around so the metal plate is facing the opposite direction from stock to achieve a drop... I did this and nothing happened. still sitting at 39.5"! Tried to remove the OL spring but the bolt through the middle just sheared, so the nut came off, but the bolt still remains. So that's not happening. These shackles are half the size of stock, I can't believe nothing happened.
I have not done the passenger side yet, but I don't think that wouldn't allow for some sort of drop on the drivers side. Anyone else run into this issue?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's pretty hard to believe that you could install a shorter shackle and see NO drop.
But stranger things have happened. I would think a shorter shackle would lift the truck, but maybe I'm not picturing the rear spring hanger right in my mind.

Got any pic installed?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I had them I maybe got 1.5" drop in the rear which isn't much, that's why I traded them towards lowering suspension parts

OP
OP
Tripp12345

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I sort of jumped the gun. Once I drove it around for about 20 minutes, I came back home, re-measured and seen about a 1" drop. Still not the 2" they claim...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had similar luck with Belltech 2" shackles on my '99 Ram.

If you don't tow, you can remove your overload and get about an inch from that too.
Also, with both sides done, maybe it'll unload some torsional load and allow it to settle a bit more.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1.5" was all I got. After installing them I saw no difference but after riding around and hitting the speed bumps around town helped it bring it down.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I had them I maybe got 1.5" drop in the rear which isn't much, that's why I traded them towards lowering suspension parts

Same here lol, it does stink

[tapatalkin]

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup, 1.5" (if you're lucky) will be the best you ever see. It was noticeable to me because my truck sat so ass high stock.

OP
OP
Tripp12345

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I was giong to remove the OL spring.. but that darn bolt going through the center of the leaf into the axle housing snapped the nut off when trying to remove it, on the drivers side anyway. Any suggestions on getting that out now? Easy out? Grinder:signs6: I don't like anything broke on my truck, even if it is just a bolt/nut.

gearhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya the instructions say to drive around, at least max tracs did, but ya it's more of a level then drop. As for the bolt, not sure on the 07 but if assume you would drop the shocks and unbolt the leafs best u can so hopefully the axle drops away and u can get it. Not sure on the 07 if that would work but just a guess hahaha

4.7Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya wen i did mine, it looked more level then lowered but i could tell the differnece in height but it was more of a 1.5 drop as well

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
This goes back more than a few years but what I remember is there is a center bolt and a spring pin a little forward of the center hole to keep the spring pack aligned. Dismantle the spring pack and knock the broken bolt out. Use something like a large philip screw driver and align the center bolt hole, use a C clamp to hold the spring pack together and insert a new bolt. My local tractor supply has spring pins and I bought a couple that were too long. Installed them and ground them flush.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio