4wd lowering, dropped spindles or torsion keys?

Which method of lowering would you do?

• Spindles

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Torsion keys

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the general public say? Personally I think the Mcgaughys spindles are the ideal way to go, but cost 4x as much, or more. I think 2" would suit me fine on the front, probably going with dropped leafs in the rear..3 or 3.5".

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Spindle's will help keep your geometry original and have a better ride.

Kodi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My groundforce 2/4 drop used torsion keys to lower the front. Im happy with it. Both ways will work fine for you. but everyone will have there own opinions on it.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I oredered the spindles from J.C. Whitney for $419 with a 10% off discount going on now and free shipping for a total of $379ish shipped. 3" dropped leafs came in last week and spindles should be here Tuesday. I ordered some BellTech Nitro Drop 2 shocks (3-5" drop) for the rear a few mins ago from Jegs. I think that's about all I need other than to bring a few tools home from work.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The spindles went on fairly smoothly other than fighting to get the cv shafts back in, and ball joints that were a pain to swap. I only got a hair over an inch of drop measuring fender to concrete after the install, and I didn't loosen the torsion bar bolts so there wasn't any variable from turning the bolts too much or not enough. I just dropped the lower shock mount and put jacks under the lower control arms to relieve the tension.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
2" drop spindles simply raise the spindle location by the amount of the drop, which is two inches. You should have gotten a full 2" drop. I would inspect the entire front suspension to determine what is holding the suspension up. First on my list would be the new shocks as drop spindles use stock height shocks. Maybe remove the shocks and then put it on the ground and bounce it a few times. 2nd would the shafts, making sure they are not hitting anything.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2" drop spindles simply raise the spindle location by the amount of the drop, which is two inches. You should have gotten a full 2" drop. I would inspect the entire front suspension to determine what is holding the suspension up. First on my list would be the new shocks as drop spindles use stock height shocks. Maybe remove the shocks and then put it on the ground and bounce it a few times. 2nd would the shafts, making sure they are not hitting anything.

I re-used the stock shocks because the spindle only changed the position of the hub assembly. The shafts are fine, I've driven it and cycled the steering full lock/lock a few times and went over some uneven pavement, everything seems fine. Eyeball appearance looks close to the 2", but on the tape measure it didn't. Not complaining though. Maybe once the torsion bars sit with the full weight back on them for a day or 2 they'll settle back down. They spent about a day with no load on them.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like it did. This is the only pic I have at the moment on my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 511

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Looks good, you have the hard part done with the 4x4, easy enough to drop the rear to whatever you want.