4x4 growling axels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

killer1963daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok,.......i want to put a 4/6 drop on my 08 qc 4x4. all the guys i try to order from tell me i cant run 4" in the front because the axel shafts will be a too great of an angle, causing growling and premature axel failure. i see 4/6 dropped 4x4s on this forum.......
doesnt lowering lessen the angle?
any one who has a 4" front drop on a4x4. 06-08, or even a 02-08, chime in i need first hand experiance please!

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I believe you are refering to the CV shafts. and yes, it is a possiblilty imo. same with raising one without proper parts. a kit may have something you install that changes the angle to a safe degree. what brand kit were you looking into?

OP
OP
K

killer1963daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mcgaughty...the 4/6 threads i read, i didnt see anyone complaining about it, and the cv /axel shafts are angled down now, lowering should straighten it no?

shikityshack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
internal combustion
No. It will not straighten them.. they will angle upward.. so every bump you hit will push them up even more.. I have done a 4/6 on an 07 4x4.. I used kore cv joints on the front.. but before I installed those I ran the stock cv shafts for a short time.. I had no issues but never locked in the 4x4 when stock for fear of snapping the shafts.. very few people do a 4/6 on a 4x4 and for good reason... I've done it, and honestly it looked great, but I would never do it again or recommend it. 2/4 is the most you should really do if you feel you need to lower it.

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
What about the high angle CV shafts for lifted trucks, wouldn't they work fir a drop too? They're a little pricey, by I think the rough county Web site has them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

shikityshack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
internal combustion
What about the high angle CV shafts for lifted trucks, wouldn't they work fir a drop too? They're a little pricey, by I think the rough county Web site has them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

That's why I used the Kore cv joints.. they are high angle joints and very beefy compared to stock.. and yes they are a bit pricey.