4x4, how low can you go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mathius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, so I'm new to this forum.
I have an 03' 1500 4x, that I bought really cheap!!
I live in Northern Alberta Canada. I haven't had my truck long, but it's a decent rig.
IMAG0042_zps129jggbp.jpg

I know lowering a 4x seems cliche, but I want a decent street truck, that can handle icy roads, and not get stuck in the driveway.

My question is about the 2/4 drops on 4x4's, and notching the front spindles to clear the lower control arm, chances are I'll do a c notch in the rear to.. I'm just curious what other issues I might run into? Can a person go any lower than 2/4. Problems with CV angles, camber, and stuff like that. I'm just looking for more info?
This is the kit I'm looking at..
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/grf-9970
I love pictures to!!
Let's see what's out there.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can safely drop it 2/4 without the need to modify anything else. You can also drop 4/6 but you'll need to upgrade the front CV joints to the Kore offroad ones. I snapped mine apart about 5 min after first installing the drop kit.

I did a 2/4 drop on my '07 and the 4/6 drop on my '09, both 4wd.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
You can safely drop it 2/4 without the need to modify anything else. You can also drop 4/6 but you'll need to upgrade the front CV joints to the Kore offroad ones. I snapped mine apart about 5 min after first installing the drop kit.

I did a 2/4 drop on my '07 and the 4/6 drop on my '09, both 4wd.

How'd you snap one? Was the CV in a serious bind?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
2" drop spindles and 2" coils puts a lot of angle on the CVs. It's enough that at full turn you can quite literally rip them apart. I fabricated my own kit to get that low with the 4wd using the McGaughy's deluxe spindle kit and GF drop kit.

OP
OP
Mathius

Mathius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's $1,000.00 big ones, I can only imagine that Canadian is way more.... like $1,500.00

Probably, us Canucks don't get any deals.. lol
I think I'm gonna start with the 2/4.5 drop, found them a bit cheaper. Then look at the drop torsion keys, and cv joints to go a bit lower in the future.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Probably, us Canucks don't get any deals.. lol
I think I'm gonna start with the 2/4.5 drop, found them a bit cheaper. Then look at the drop torsion keys, and cv joints to go a bit lower in the future.

Ya'll pay more because your healthcare is free, we now get fined if we don't have it.

OP
OP
Mathius

Mathius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya'll pay more because your healthcare is free, we now get fined if we don't have it.

Don't kid yourself.
We are going to have to pay for healthcare in Alberta right away, and our healthcare system licks sweaty *******!
Your better off googling what ales you.. lol

The price of living up here is crazy high right now to. But I have my dodge, and could live in it under worse conditions.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Don't kid yourself.
We are going to have to pay for healthcare in Alberta right away, and our healthcare system licks sweaty *******!
Your better off googling what ales you.. lol

The price of living up here is crazy high right now to. But I have my dodge, and could live in it under worse conditions.
I had a guy that worked at our Calgary base and said he pay on a "lease" 56k for 14' sport. Is the treatment for Healthcare up there like they could care less?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Guy I knew down in Lethbridge had a set built back in '08 for $3K so the Kore ones are a decent price actually. I was able to get mine for $700 a few years ago so prices have risen since then.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I had a guy that worked at our Calgary base and said he pay on a "lease" 56k for 14' sport. Is the treatment for Healthcare up there like they could care less?

Elective surgeries and low risk emergency trips get triaged low but major surgeries and such can be expedited as required and don't cost $100K. Cancer hospital and care costs are also covered plus prescription drugs can be covered by other sources of health insurance if you don't qualify for the age, income, and province coverage.

We do have private providers who aren't bound by the universal health care process so for things like MRIs you can wait a few months depending on why or spend the $400 and get it done right away at a private facility. The biggest advantage of the whole program is that everybody has coverage but those who can afford it can get it faster outside of the system if they want, kind of like the original intention was of Medicaid.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Elective surgeries and low risk emergency trips get triaged low but major surgeries and such can be expedited as required and don't cost $100K. Cancer hospital and care costs are also covered plus prescription drugs can be covered by other sources of health insurance if you don't qualify for the age, income, and province coverage.

We do have private providers who aren't bound by the universal health care process so for things like MRIs you can wait a few months depending on why or spend the $400 and get it done right away at a private facility. The biggest advantage of the whole program is that everybody has coverage but those who can afford it can get it faster outside of the system if they want, kind of like the original intention was of Medicaid.

I have coverage and like our system. I get hurt, I get fixed up. Costs nothing.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Lol. Ya, we're in Southern Alberta. Two feet over night and blown into Saskatchewan by noon.

Fixed it for ya. Wife's from Leth/Taber and I spent a few years working in Pincher so yeah, I know how it is.