4x4 lower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteiger85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question about lowering my truck. I have a 4x4 and all I really want to do is lower the rear level with the front. How can i do this? Thanks for you help

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You will need a flip kit to bring the axle over top of the leafs. On its own this can provide up to 5" of drop, but the kit usually includes shackles that will allow you to raise the truck back to the desired stance.

There are shorter leaf shackles that can be installed alone, but results are mixed and usually don't bring the truck down enough to the desired stance.

DJM Suspension make a kit that does not require any welding so it can be removed and the truck returned to original status if desired.

DJM Suspension - 3rd Gen. Dodge RAM Rear Axle Flip Kit

OP
OP
W

wsteiger85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok cool thanks alot. This pretty easy to put on?

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok cool thanks alot. This pretty easy to put on?

Define "easy" ?

You have to support the back of the vehicle, un-mount the leafs and axle (drive shaft), then clean up the leafs, put the flip kit on it, load up the axle over top the leafs on the flip kit, and re-install the leafs on the truck with the new shackles, connect the drive shaft and shocks with the new shock extenders.

There is no need for an alignment so once installed, you are good to drive the truck.

The initial dissassembly process can be a PITA depending on the state of the current suspension and level of rust you may have to deal with.

If you have some horizontal driveway surface (don't attempt this in a sloped driveway) 2 good jack stands, and a floor jack, that will get you started on lifting the truck for the job. Taking the bed off may make it easier but is really not necessary.
Then it is mostly a matter of a good set of socket and ratchet, and an impact can be helpfull but not mandatory. A breaker bar is also a good idea to have around, the longer the better. A torque ratchet is also not a bad idea but again not necessary.

The axles have an index key for everything to be put back together without special alignment tools.

I would say it is a 1 day job taking your time and making sure everything is back together appropriately. If you can get some help from a buddy that is also usually a good idea as the axle is kinda heavy.

Also the kit comes with detailed installation instruction and DJM has a good support service if need be.
More time consuming than difficult I would say depending on your mechanical comfort level.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Does that DJM kit work for 4x4's? Last time I talked with them it didn't...

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A rear axle is a rear axle. The only issues with lowering 4wds is the front end.

Kevnic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the front you are going to need drop spindles