any difference in leafsprings between a 05 & 06?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Particularly the bushings.

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 and have had a lowering kit installed since i bought it. I have been experiencing some rattling/bumping in the rear end for the last 3 or 4 months. I sound like a cupboard wagon coming down the road. I have narrowed it down to my leaf spring bushings. I had the rear end off of the leafs and the leafs would sway from side to side. Bushings are wore out and have a good bit of slack inside the eye of the leaf on front and back.

I have contacted Energy Suspension and they dont offer a bushing kit for my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 but do for 02-05 Ram 1500s. Did leaf springs change any between 05 and 06??

Thanks

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
another guy here ran into the same issue, the leaf springs didn't change so you can run the 02-05.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No not quite, it was nitrouschris who gambled and ordered the bushings and they worked in his, I believe 07 qc. I ordered the exact same kit from the link he gave me in the thread. I installed them last night and the forward bushings were perfect, the rearward bushings were the right size, but the metal bolt sleeve that goes inside it was too long. It was getting late and no time to screw with ordering more so I cut the sleeve down to size with a grinder and all is well. Rides so much better. No more ass hop over bumps. No shudder in turns. Even took care of my issue with the passenger seat wobbling on the interstate.

Not sure if i received a factory defect kit, part number was the same on the box as in his link. But that's what happened. So, Cliff notes, it works but some modifications May be required.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No not quite, it was nitrouschris who gambled and ordered the bushings and they worked in his, I believe 07 qc. I ordered the exact same kit from the link he gave me in the thread. I installed them last night and the forward bushings were perfect, the rearward bushings were the right size, but the metal bolt sleeve that goes inside it was too long. It was getting late and no time to screw with ordering more so I cut the sleeve down to size with a grinder and all is well. Rides so much better. No more ass hop over bumps. No shudder in turns. Even took care of my issue with the passenger seat wobbling on the interstate.

Not sure if i received a factory defect kit, part number was the same on the box as in his link. But that's what happened. So, Cliff notes, it works but some modifications May be required.

Awesome! Thanks for mentioning that. I'll be sure to have something on hand to cut the sleeves down.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All I did was put the bushing in the eyelet, slide in the sleeve, hammer it down until it was flush on one side, then mark off the line with a sharpie and pulled it back out and cut behind the line, so when compressed the sleeve is flush.

Like I said, not sure if it was some defect in packaging, because in addition to the sleeve length, it came with 2 more bushings of a different size that had no sleeve? Not sure what they were for.

As for the install, I found the easiest way was to leave the tires on, jack up the truck until the springs were unladen, then remove the whole spring one side at a time. Then I used an air hammer with a flat chisel to push the perimeter of the metal in off the spring on the side it presses in from. Then do the same on the side you press it out from but fold the metal to touch the sleeve so the press contacts something besides rubber. They pressed out fairly easy with the 25 ton shop press.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tips dude. I hope to get this knocked out this weekend.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another tip to keep you from making my mistake and having to remove the springs again...

When putting the springs back in the truck, there are alignment dowels on the springs that fit into a series of 3 holes on the spring perch. MAKE SURE THEY GO IN THE MIDDLE HOLE.I screwed up and put them in the front hole and when I got it on the ground the tires were waaaaay too close to the fender, and I had to remove the u bolts and do it again.

Good luck

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In the kit I got, I only needed the bushings for the springs themselves and they fit with no mods. Did you mistakenly swap the front and rear sleeves? IIRC they are diff lengths.The 2 bushings I had left were for the shackles, which I didn't need since I just installed lowered shackles with my drop kit. Hope that helps some.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I discovered the different lenght when I realized they were too long. But, the ones for mine were not only different lengths but diameters as well. the longer ones the are the correct length for the front are too small in diameter to fit in the bushing correctly. The short ones are too fat to fit in the proper bushings. I tried every combination of them I could, but they had to be cut down. Maybe it has something to do with a package on the truck, maybe I dont have a factory towing package, or have some weird suspension. Or maybe they just mispackaged the set I got.

FroggyMcNasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Were any of your trucks 4wd? I ordered bushing from energy suspension and ordered then for a 1500 4x4 mega cab. Turns out they do not offer them for my 06 qc. If these work for 4wd spring you guys will be my saviors.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk