Caltracs help.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are caltracs necessary for a 2'' shackle drop with overload spring removed? I'm ditching my 3'' Belltech lowering leafs. The stiffness is driving me crazy. I can deal with the 1'' pitch in the rear.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Cal-Tracs (traction bars) are only to protect from axle wrap and remove wheel hop for trucks with a lot of performance and who go to the track and or race often.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats a good question? I would think it would all have to do with the way you drive the truck.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know if I get on mine, it wheels hops like crazy, that's what the traction bars are for is to stiffen up and not allow the axle to wrap.

From the Cal Trac Site:

Specializing in leafspring traction enhancement systems for over 15 years, the Calvert Racing Team knows what it takes to get your car hooking harder than ever!

With unsurpassed quality and craftsmanship, all competition is eliminated. Why settle for anything less than the original system that set the standards?

Calvert Racing’s CalTracs are the most innovative traction bar units today, often imitated, but never duplicated.

If you have a leafspring car, we have a set of bars for you! From daily driven cars, to 8-second outlaw cars, this system is made to out perform!

Complete bolt-on, no cutting, welding, or modifications to OEM suspension.

Keeps axle from rotating, helping maintain pinion angle.

Improves 60ft times.

Full preload adjustability.

Eliminates spring wrap-up.

Powdercoated gloss black finish.

Full color Installation Guide.

PSCA, NMCA, NHRA approved.

products-Caltracsimg.jpg

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I just remember some guys on here talking about installing them when they removed the overload spring from the rear. I rarely hammer the throttle down from a dead stop. I just thought this would eliminate a weak link in the rear with the OL spring removed....am I close with this thought process. Sometimes I wish I would have been an engineer instead of a fireman................Psych.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes you will have more control in the rear with the CalTracks, but they will not make up for your OL spring being gone if you put weight in the truck.

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might wind up passing on the Caltracs. If I start towing a heavier boat I will just get some helper bags in the rear.