Cool spring vs Spindle Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys I'm torn. What's best. A lowering spring or spindle drop? I know the spindle is more but im thinking either way it's best to replace the shocks.....let me know your thoughts or experiences. I want no geometry issues. Thanks

Too late meant coil spring dang auto correct

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spindle drop changes nothing but spindles. Basically, it moves the tire up.

Coils changes pitch of everything. Shorter coil so there fore the top of the tire goes in towards the truck and bottom goes out.

Think of your arm straight out holding a plate (rim and tire). If you move it up,l by swinging your arm up, the geometry changes. But if you only move it up by changing the position you're holding the plate, nothing changes.

Last edited:

Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Spindle drop changes nothing but spindles. Basically, it moves the tire up.

Coils changes pitch of everything. Shorter coil so there fore the top of the tire goes in towards the truck and bottom goes out.

Think of your arm straight out holding a plate (rim and tire). If you move it up,l by swinging your arm up, the geometry changes. But if you only move it up by changing the position you're holding the plate, nothing changes.

What about something like DJM lower control arms?

OP
OP
monettejb

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys so I'm at it again with the lowering scenario. First off I have a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi Regular Cab 2wd. I need some advice and even through tireless research I need more opinions.

Currently I have a two inch drop shackle in the rear, stock front. Rides hard and bumps are terrible.

Possibilities: I was thinking of just going with 2" lowering coil springs for the front and not the spindles. In the rear I was thinking of going with the 4" or 4.5" flip kit but I'd also like to do some towing. I also noticed that Bell Tech makes a 1-3" drop shackle. I will replace all the shocks if I do this with lowering shocks. I still would like to tow although I haven't towed anything with the truck in the year I've owned it. So alignment is a question but I feel like I'll be okay since I've only put about 5,000 miles on my truck in the year I've owned it. (I have a work vehicle).

So do I really need spindles with that little of driving and replacing shocks?
Another option is the lowering leaf springs? (what's better)
If I get the air bag helper kit I've found that the prices are around $280.00 which seems absurd. Will I really need this?

Second Possibility:

Spend the money I don't need to spend and spend upwards of $1,000.00 on spindles, shocks, and flip kit. I know this helps with alignment but if I'm doing this on a budget and as little as I drive my truck will I be okay with 2" lowering spings and what should I go with in the rear if so.

Thanks guys!!!!

xtremeroller

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 & 2008
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The spindles are going to keep your front steering geometry more in line with the factory settings and they won't cause any camber issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Daniel1006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dont use springs I got 2 inch drop and cant get my front end lined up dont have anymore adjustment