Dropping the beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
amishcrackdealer

amishcrackdealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
I will definitely add some tack welds to it this weekend. Never thought about it spinning in that cradle. That could seriously ruin my day.

I got around to adding my new rims (dropping from 20" with 275/70 tires to 18" with 235/60 in front and 245/65 in back)
1-4-15_zps0e1c97b0.jpg

OP
OP
amishcrackdealer

amishcrackdealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
So I have been playing around with the truck for a little while - liking the new look and attitude, especially with the new rims and tires, but I've been thinking...

If I were to chop a 1/2 coil off the new lowering coils up front - would that lower the front end enough to remove the 5" wheel well gap between the tire and the fender? Everything I have been looking at makes me think it would. I'm really wanting to go lower than I am now - but not ruin what I have now. I figure if I remove the new front coils and chop a 1/2 coil from the bottom of it then reinstall it - that would do it. I can also add blocks to the rear now to get it lower if I decide to go stupid low...

seriously considering doing this....

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would recommend installing a notch and then use your original shackles which will get the rear down. Once you have that sorted you can start trimming the front coils about a quarter of a coil at a time to adjust the stance until it is where you want it. I use Tembren rubber springs in the front to control travel and keep the tires off of the inner fenders. It takes a while to get it all adjusted.

uu83.jpg
u8t7.jpg
img2011052200088.jpg
imag0028wj.jpg

Anyway go slow and plan well.

OP
OP
amishcrackdealer

amishcrackdealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
I took it apart this weekend and got a better look at it. I decided against going lower since I would need to address the ball joints and I didnt want to buy another new set. Wonder if the picklefork would separate it since its new.... wasnt willing to try. LOL

I did herculiner the bed, sand off the tail stripe and repaint the bed, plus sand a spot on the front and repaint. I also removed the center section of the seat and started designing my stereo system. I also began installing my neon under the truck and behind the grille. I have new graphics coming and new exhaust - but those are secret :)

OP
OP
amishcrackdealer

amishcrackdealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
I installed a Cold Air kit today and I removed the rear bumper and receiver hitch then installed a rollpan in its place. I like this look very much. I also "trimmed" the stock seat and removed the center portion (the arm rest box was busted up anyway) so now I have 2 stock bucket seats. I am planning to add a nice little system to the truck next.

I am also thinking about having the truck painted - bright white. Leaving the rims black and the grille insert gloss black. Think it would look better than the flat black.

OP
OP
amishcrackdealer

amishcrackdealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
ok - I did it. I took it back apart and chopped a full coil and the front bump stops off. It came down A LOT. Its right where I want it now.

Since I did that - I also added a steel roll pan (ditched the tow receiver and rear bumper), new muffler and tailpipe, chopped the stock bench seat and removed the center jump seat, rear wall, rear package tray from the inside and made my own carpet kit. I installed a cold air kit and added my nitrous bottle with purge kit (not into the engine - debating on that one still). I will add pictures when I get home.

0206105498290308_2574072405884288010_n_zpsa8pysjyh.jpg

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was bout to say spray on a 3.7?

OP
OP
amishcrackdealer

amishcrackdealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
figured I could get my 0 to 60 time down to 10 minutes that way ;)

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do like the wheels. I been thinking about it lately that I should of got some 20s