How do you lowered guys get around?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am considering trading my 3.92 geared LSD 4x4 in on a 3.55 gear 2x4 or 4x4. To save gas if nothing else. I dont tow much more than 2500lbs and I seldom see more than a dirt or gravel road. My question is, how is the traction on a 2wd ram? I see 5" or less of snow maybe 5 days out of the year, and would never take a nice pretty truck off road, I'll take my old ford SUV if I wanna do that. I thought about picking up a 2006 Ram Hemi 2x4 with the 3.55 rear end and the MSD, then dropping it 2/4.5 or something along those lines. You guys who drive lowered 2wd rams, do you ever wish you had 4x4? Would a LSD or a locking rear differential be worth it on a 2x4? Also does anyone running a 2/4.5 drop have any complaints as far as ride quality or bottoming out? Thanks ya'll.
-Ben

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
IMO, do not trade to a 3:55 gear for mileage. You will be very disappointed.
The only thing I am careful about being lowered is steep driveways where the rear can strike the ground, same if you need to use a roll back you may damage the bumper or roll pan. I have two wooden blocks I can wedge between the axle and frame for such emergencies. Lowered I believe increases mpg but again don't modify for mileage alone. I have found within reason as performance increases your mileage will also improve as the engine isn't working as hard. If you want a street truck you'll probably end up with at least a 4:10 and possibly 4:56 if you are really serious.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You basically keep getting a similar answer from everyone lol

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah seems like it. I apologize for asking so many questions. But, 3mpg is worth a trade to the 3.55 to me. Thanks for the input.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A new Ram with 3.92's will be better mpg wise anyway. I'm sure if you look at an 06-08 vs your 04 they are rated higher due to the mds.