Leafs vs Flip kit help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys/gals

I recently did a 2/3 drop on my 08 4x4 with 2'' GF coils up front and 3'' Bell Tec leafs in the rear with appropriate shocks/struts to match. The ride is way to stiff and bouncy for me and something has to change here.

So besides my leaf springs drop; Who has experienced the best ride quality drop for their rear at around the 3-4" mark? flip kit/shackles/hangers? I'm open to ideas, just NO notching the frame...

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I did a flip kit on my 05 4x4 but I had torsion bars up front. You have coils on a 4x4? My ride was pretty great, but I did alot of added stuff, like helper bags sway bar and ended up with a 4/6 drop.

[yt]2tztrL9huVI[/yt]

Last edited:

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
What tires do you have? Prob not the tires but with mine it was darn smooth with 60 aspect ratio tire. Once i changed to a 55 and 45 ratio is when it got a jarring ride. This is a 4/6 flip kit and 2" coil and springs up front.

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the 2/4.5 with flip kit and my truck rides like a dump truck, it's a little better with 20s instead of the 22s I had, but it still drives me crazy, even my bf's 3/4 lifted 4x4 chevy rode 100% better than my truck when he had it. Now he has a silverado with a 4/6ish drop and it rides like a caddy too! I hate it!

I think the helper bags would work wonders

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I have GF 2'' lowering coils up front. The ride is very stiff and springy but not sure if it's coming from the front or rear tho. What would helper bags do? I don't mind investing into making it ride nice, I just need a direction to go.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The helper bags are mainly to level the truck out when it has a load when towing, but without a load, and with some air in them, I think they absorb more road shock and make for a better ride

[tapatalkin]

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kristin - What does "it rides like a dump truck" mean? I've never been in a dump truck.

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hahaha i just mean that it rides really rough and the suspension is stiff, every bump in the road I can feel and everything rattles in my truck and it bounces me all over the place. It's like being in a truck with no shocks I guess you could think, it's just a rough ride

I have to drive on a lot of side roads etc and they are smooth in other vehicles, but not mine. I guess it's how dodge designed the suspension im not sure...

[tapatalkin]

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are the Ground Force springs a progressive rate spring (are the coils different thickness / spaced as it goes to one end)? Non progressive drop coils tend to ride like complete and total ****. I don't really believe there is a whole lot you can do there.

You can try Nitro Drop shocks. I know when I put a set on my '99 R/T it dramatically improved the ride quality. It was still 'stiff' but in no way jarring. It was very controlled, like an M3 or similar.

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greg - Yes they are progressive springs. I have monroe shocks on the back that were recommended by the Monroe tech to match a 4'' drop for the rear. The ride isn't really horrible on the truck it just beats me up when i hit a bump, dip in the road and pulling in and out of the driveway with the concrete drainage my neighbor hood has (you can actually see what i'm talking about in my signature picture, my tires parked on it).

But I did just call BellTech and spoke with their tech about the ride. He told me this is common to be stiff and jarring with ride quality. He told me if I wanted to get my factory ride back to go with their flip kit and look into helper bags if I want to tow my boat in the future.

So besides Kristin on here has anyone have any feedback on their 4'' flip kit on the 3rd gen rams?

Last edited:

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replied to your pm- but the ride is stiff. I dropped mine 3/5 with Air Lift helpers in the rear. They do work wonders. I would like to add a remote compressor, also, but that's a seperate issue.

I am only a couple of minutes and 1 set of helacious RR tracks from the smoother city roads so i can live with the ride. Especially do to the looks of the truck, compliments & heads turned. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock