Lowered 3rd Gen Pics - Show Em Off!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
One more time just because the 3rd gen is absolutely the best looking model year for the Ram! All others fail in comparison for style!
View attachment 239683
View attachment 239684
I think the fourth looks better in some places (rocker panels, tail lights 50/50, tailgate, panel gaps/fit and finish, the interior) but with good part selection and a custom touch, the 3rd gen is exquisite, and a little more natural-looking. The SRT-10 will probably remain my favorite truck of all time.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the fourth looks better in some places (rocker panels, tail lights 50/50, tailgate, panel gaps/fit and finish, the interior) but with good part selection and a custom touch, the 3rd gen is exquisite, and a little more natural-looking. The SRT-10 will probably remain my favorite truck of all time.
I respectfully disagree.
The 4th doesn't have the masculine bulging rear fenders, doesn't have the grille that lifts up with the hood, doesn't have the scooped headlights in the bumper, the overall shape has been drastically changed.
Not knocking it, I love the 4th gen, they just don't have that "BALLSY" look of the 3rd gen.
I'll give you the interior to the 4th for being the best for sure. lol
I could have gotten a 4th gen when I bought, but I purposely seeked out a 3rd gen for the reasons listed. IMO the 3rd gen is "the" year they hit it just right.
Sorta like the 69/70 year(s) Chargers hit it, then in 71 the look was totally lost forever.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I respectfully disagree.
The 4th doesn't have the masculine bulging rear fenders, doesn't have the grille that lifts up with the hood, doesn't have the scooped headlights in the bumper, the overall shape has been drastically changed.
Not knocking it, I love the 4th gen, they just don't have that "BALLSY" look of the 3rd gen.
I'll give you the interior to the 4th for being the best for sure. lol
I could have gotten a 4th gen when I bought, but I purposely seeked out a 3rd gen for the reasons listed. IMO the 3rd gen is "the" year they hit it just right.
Sorta like the 69/70 year(s) Chargers hit it, then in 71 the look was totally lost forever.

I totally get what you mean. And, like I said, the SRT10 is definitely my favorite truck of all time. In fact, the SRT10 rocker plastics solve the biggest "issue" I have with 3rd gens. And if you get flat pre-facelift headlight lenses (like on your aftermarket headlights), and add a facelift grill to the front like kevenb did, then we start to get very very close to "perfect"

I must ask. If the sharper lines of the 4th gen bed and front fenders were more prevalent and "bulged" as you say, would you then like it more than or equal to a 3rd? Also, given how you specifically pointed out the pre-facelift headlight dips, does that mean you like those lights more than the facelift ones and/or the 4th gen shape? Do you think the facelift 3rd gen lights would look better if the top part of the plastic were covered with sheet metal (as opposed to the traditional "eyelid" BS), and, given that, how would you compare such a mod to 4th gen and pre-facelift 3rd gen headlights, personally?

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I totally get what you mean. And, like I said, the SRT10 is definitely my favorite truck of all time. In fact, the SRT10 rocker plastics solve the biggest "issue" I have with 3rd gens. And if you get flat pre-facelift headlight lenses (like on your aftermarket headlights), and add a facelift grill to the front like kevenb did, then we start to get very very close to "perfect"

I must ask. If the sharper lines of the 4th gen bed and front fenders were more prevalent and "bulged" as you say, would you then like it more than or equal to a 3rd? Also, given how you specifically pointed out the pre-facelift headlight dips, does that mean you like those lights more than the facelift ones and/or the 4th gen shape? Do you think the facelift 3rd gen lights would look better if the top part of the plastic were covered with sheet metal (as opposed to the traditional "eyelid" BS), and, given that, how would you compare such a mod to 4th gen and pre-facelift 3rd gen headlights, personally?
"If the sharper lines of the 4th gen bed and front fenders were more prevalent and "bulged" as you say, would you then like it more than or equal to a 3rd?"
I would, don't get me wrong, the 4th is a gorgeous truck, but I think they sleeked it out too much for me.
I know you had the 05 with the light panels that went into the top of the fender and while the body style was the same the headlights were definitely "different"?
I like the way the quarter panel covers the top of the light myself, 4th gen lights look real good, but I think the 3rd gens have more personality visually.
I think if they had kept the large bulging fenders on the 4th, it may have been the best looking even though they lost some of the styling ques I like on the 3rd.
Although I hate MDS, the 4th definitely got the better Hemi, tuneability and best looking facia.
Honestly, I'd be ecstatic to own either, as long as it's a RCSB for me.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I know you had the 05 with the light panels that went into the top of the fender and while the body style was the same the headlights were definitely "different"?

Nah, my 05 was normal. When I sold it, I had just put in black bucket but otherwise stock shaped headlights. I actually have a pic of it the day I sold it, but it's on my phone. 05 is the same as yours. 06 was when they did the "facelift" that had the different headlights, fenders(to hold the new headlight shape), grill and bumper.

What I was talking about was doing adding sheet metal to the fender of an 06+ to cover up the ugly top part of the headlight and make it look more streamlined and less bug-eyed like a vinyl "eyelid" normally would, just less ugly than an eyelid, and more permanent. And subsequently, what you would think of such a look compared to 4g or 3g pre-facelift headlights.

I actually saw a custom 2g that had dodge charger headlights molded into the fenders and it looked like it would be a killer. It also had a wrap around rear window, bed and body joined together and tailgate permanently shut and was an extended cab. Real wild custom build, on the level or above what Demon Hemi does.

Honestly, I'd be ecstatic to own either, as long as it's a RCSB for me.

Same.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nah, my 05 was normal. When I sold it, I had just put in black bucket but otherwise stock shaped headlights. I actually have a pic of it the day I sold it, but it's on my phone. 05 is the same as yours. 06 was when they did the "facelift" that had the different headlights, fenders(to hold the new headlight shape), grill and bumper.

What I was talking about was doing adding sheet metal to the fender of an 06+ to cover up the ugly top part of the headlight and make it look more streamlined and less bug-eyed like a vinyl "eyelid" normally would, just less ugly than an eyelid, and more permanent. And subsequently, what you would think of such a look compared to 4g or 3g pre-facelift headlights.

I actually saw a custom 2g that had dodge charger headlights molded into the fenders and it looked like it would be a killer. It also had a wrap around rear window, bed and body joined together and tailgate permanently shut and was an extended cab. Real wild custom build, on the level or above what Demon Hemi does.

Same.
Okay, my bad. I always hated those headlights too, way too big and out of proportion to the front of the vehicle so it's easy to see why they only did them for one year. Personally, I don't mind some mild mods (front facia, wider body panels and rolled rear end), but when you start doing major reconstruction/welding then you're into another ball game all together. I just wanna see the truck mainly as designed.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Okay, my bad. I always hated those headlights too, way too big and out of proportion to the front of the vehicle so it's easy to see why they only did them for one year. Personally, I don't mind some mild mods (front facia, wider body panels and rolled rear end), but when you start doing major reconstruction/welding then you're into another ball game all together. I just wanna see the truck mainly as designed.
Yeah, there's a purity in remaining close to the original.

But no, they made the big headlights for 3 years, 06-08. Anyway...

Reubencanyon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Jefferd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks it needs new paint on hood but im tryn to decide on what style and i need a new bumper cause i live in the woods and smacked a HUGE raccon and it busted the black valance at one spot ..

Attachments

• 20210410_162217.jpg
    20210410_162217.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 28

AtomWin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello! New to the forum. Been having this as a work truck for 5years. Finally decided to lower it. Ride is **** but looks so different compared to stock ride height now.

Attachments

• 20220911_163656.jpg
    20220911_163656.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220911_163611.jpg
    20220911_163611.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220911_163339_05.jpg
    20220911_163339_05.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 17

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello! New to the forum. Been having this as a work truck for 5years. Finally decided to lower it. Ride is **** but looks so different compared to stock ride height now.
Why is the ride so ******? Chop job maybe?
Mine rides great with the McCaughey's kit I used, I know others have had great success with other lowering kits too, so what gives?
EDIT: Just saw you live in LA, my wife's from there and with those roads even a Rolls Royce would ride like ****. lol

AtomWin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is the ride so ******? Chop job maybe?
Mine rides great with the McCaughey's kit I used, I know others have had great success with other lowering kits too, so what gives?
EDIT: Just saw you live in LA, my wife's from there and with those roads even a Rolls Royce would ride like ****. lol
Yup, they just fill potholes and then they get worse after the rain. Just installed new bumpstops so it's a little better. I'm happy with it. I got the 5/7 from spindle-source

g-nut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lowered mine another 2" in the rear to get the ride height where I want it for the complete suspension rebuild. I think taking the front down another 1/2" and it'll be the perfect stance for me. Now the hard part begins.

View attachment 369136
I know this is an old thread but I'm asking anyhow. What size wheel and tire?