Lowering a 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
I've seen a couple of thread but none seem to awnser my questions.
I just bought a 03 4dr 4x4 5.7 yesterday and want to lower it and put the black 22" SRT wheels. From what I've read the rear flip kit lowers the rear 4" and right know my rear end is about 4" higher than my front. Has anyone just flipped the rear end and adjusted the torsion bars as needed to level the truck?

Also how much axle to frame clearance is there with the flip installed?

Thanks in advance for the info.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
Talk to Turp he had a lowered 3rd gen now he has a lowered 4th gen.

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine is 4wd and i lowered it, dont think you will be able to get away with just loosening torsion keys, i used drop spindles and loosened keys and my front is just 1/4 inch lower than back, not sure on exact clearance from rearend to frame trucks in storage but i only bottom out on big bumps or when my bike is in backand hit bumps.

OP
OP
B

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
I did McGaughy's 2/4.5 spindle/flip kit, then lowered the torsion bars, and replaced the drop spring hangar with the OEM one for like a 3-3.5 inch front, and 5-6 inch rear drop.

I've seen some post where people have to cut a hole in the drop spindle?
Doesn't this affect stability of the knuckle?

I still plan on towing and hauling with the truck so I need something that I don't have to worry about?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^^Not sure at all about that... where at in the spindle? The center?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
didn't myyoung84 also lower is 4x4?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
OP
OP
B

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
^^Not sure at all about that... where at in the spindle? The center?

I thought the video trup put up showed the knuckle/spindle was cut out to clear the lower control arm? All the pics I've seen of knuckle show no hole in them but his knuckle has a hole and I read somewhere that you had to drill it out.

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've seen some post where people have to cut a hole in the drop spindle?
Doesn't this affect stability of the knuckle?

I still plan on towing and hauling with the truck so I need something that I don't have to worry about?

Doesnt effect anything, i still tow when needed, and go to car and bike nights at bars and whip ****ties ive cut through ditches bassically beat my truck regularly with stock rims on and have had no problems with the spindles, i say go for it

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
:16 sec shows the hole in the knuckle/spindle...

Yeah my lowering spindles have a hole in them for the 4x4s [since all ram spindles are the same for 2wd/4wd and the 2wds dont use the hole

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah my lowering spindles have a hole in them for the 4x4s [since all ram spindles are the same for 2wd/4wd and the 2wds dont use the hole

i think he refering to the extra hole that has to be cut for the tierod end to clear on the 4wd its beefier than 2wd so a relief hole has to be cut to clear it

shikityshack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
internal combustion
Why lower a 4x4? LOL.. JK!

To clarify the OPs first post. A flip kit with stock shackles drops the rear 6" With longer "lift" shackels (McGaughys, Ground Force) it lifts it back up to 4 to 4.5" depending on what hole you have it in. With my flip at a 6" drop I have 3.5" clearence between the frame and the top of the axle.. That is with the factory bump stops completely removed. I still need to install my notch which is sitting in the garage waiting for me to stop being lazy.

I can't fully help with the front end of your 02-05 front end, as mine is an 07 and is completely different.. I did not have to notch my drop spindles.

But if this helps mind you mine is an 07 4x4, with a 4/6 drop.. I am running 2" McGaughys drop spindles, and 2" Ground Force drop coils. I know you wouldn't use the coils, but there is no reason you couldn't adjust the Torsion bars to give you an extra inch.. But don't push it, the CVs aren't all that forgiving past that point...

How low do you want to go? or are you just wanting to level it. Knowing your plans, unless I missed them, will help in giving you the proper advice..

And whats with the no pic of your truck!?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
To clarify the spindle hole, the 4x4's have bigger beefier lower control arms that won't clear the bottom of the spindle to line up with the upper control arm. Therefore they have to be notched to fit. Yeah it's in my video.

Tapatalk'in

OP
OP
B

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
How low do you want to go? or are you just wanting to level it. Knowing your plans, unless I missed them, will help in giving you the proper advice..

And whats with the no pic of your truck!?

I just bought the truck Monday night and just got insurance yesterday!
I still haven't got it cleaned up yet, spent last night removing emblems and old man accessories, but I did manage to spank a Z71 at a stop light on the way home last night!!!

I'm really just after leveling the back to the same height the front is.
I'm planning on getting some srt or aftermarket wheels for summer fun and running the 20" stocks plasty dip'd black with some low pro AT tire for midwest winters...

OP
OP
B

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
To clarify the spindle hole, the 4x4's have bigger beefier lower control arms that won't clear the bottom of the spindle to line up with the upper control arm. Therefore they have to be notched to fit. Yeah it's in my video.

Tapatalk'in

Trup,
Did you drill all the way thru the knuckle or just dish it out for clearance?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Drop shackles and possibly overload leaf delete. Flip kit would drop it too much.

If you do go with the flip kit, loosening the torsion bars is an option, bit will sacrifice ride comfort.

Good idea would be to buy lowering keys for the torsion bars, which aren't too expensive or hard to install. That maintains the factory ride stiffness, but still gets the lowered look. You can buy 1, and 2 inch lowering keys.

Tapatalk'in

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Trup,
Did you drill all the way thru the knuckle or just dish it out for clearance?

I drilled through the knuckle with pilot holes, then cut from hole to hole till it was squared and all the way through. Worked like a charm, and matches the OEM spindle. Won't sacrifice strength unless you mess up and drill half the spindle out.

Tapatalk'in