Lowering My 2007 Dodge Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdmachiavelli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I have made the decision to lower my 2007 Ram 1500.

The main reason I want to lower it is because, as much as I love the Ram, it sits way to high for a 2 wheel drive. For me anyway.

But since I made the decision to lower it, I have researched it and I have really grown to like the look of the lowered Ram.

I think I have settled on the McGaughys 2/4.5 Deluxe Lowering Kit. This is a picture of the EXACT look I'm going for, and this is the same color and body style of my truck.

Dodge_Ram_2_4_drop_22__20614.1456273618.1280.1280.jpg

I do have several questions though.

First of all will I be able to leave the stock wheels and tires on temporarily until I upgrade? Currently I have those 20" wheels with 275 60 R20.

When I decide on wheels and tires, what size should I go with? Should I upgrade to 22" and if so what size tire?

Also, I love the newer model RT rims, will they fit a 2007 and if not does anyone know of something aftermarket that is similar?

These are the wheels I'm talking about.

2015_Dodge_Ram_SRT_22-2.jpg

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I do have several questions though.

First of all will I be able to leave the stock wheels and tires on temporarily until I upgrade? Currently I have those 20" wheels with 275 60 R20.

When I decide on wheels and tires, what size should I go with? Should I upgrade to 22" and if so what size tire?

Also, I love the newer model RT rims, will they fit a 2007 and if not does anyone know of something aftermarket that is similar?

Stock wheels/tires fit just fine with a 2/4 drop. When you change wheels you just need to pay attention to the total height of the tires, the 305/45R22 is a popular size and the closest to your factory tire size but can have minor rubbing issues on some trucks, the 285/45R22 fits with zero issues but they're 1" shorter. If you get wheels with a lot of offset you'll start rubbing the inner fender liners, so you just need to get ones with similar backspacing to the factory wheels. The newer R/T wheels bolt up the same and have the same backspacing as your stock 20s so they'll work the same.

OP
OP
mdmachiavelli

mdmachiavelli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Stock wheels/tires fit just fine with a 2/4 drop. When you change wheels you just need to pay attention to the total height of the tires, the 305/45R22 is a popular size and the closest to your factory tire size but can have minor rubbing issues on some trucks, the 285/45R22 fits with zero issues but they're 1" shorter. If you get wheels with a lot of offset you'll start rubbing the inner fender liners, so you just need to get ones with similar backspacing to the factory wheels. The newer R/T wheels bolt up the same and have the same backspacing as your stock 20s so they'll work the same.

Thanks for the answer I greatly appreciate it.

What is a safe offset?