Newbie...Need direction. 2/4 Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, cool. That's what I assumed, but you never know.

Anyone know how the lower ball joint comes off? I know there is a snap ring, but there is some kinda cover or cap over it. Can't seem to get it loose. ?????????????

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i took mine in to buddys shop so cnt help with that one, it took him hour and half to change upper lower and inner outer tierods, best 200 labor i ever spent

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine were bein a PITA so I took mine to a custom suspension shop and paid them to do my spindles.

I know the concept of how to get em off, go to the tech section and read my how to, its on there how to take em off. you will need a BFH (big fkn hammer)

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^thats goin in my sig lol, thats the rule for anything in the drivetrian

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hahahah it's true!! Heheheheheheh :D :D :D :D

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went & bought a BFH (bigger effin hammer). Gonna give that a try today. I know you have to get the cover off, just couldn't get it to budge. We'll see what this does. I'm ready to get it back on all fours!

Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kristin-Hate to bother you more than I already have, but when you replaced your shocks did you do the front & rear? I bought all four (nitro drop 2's) , but noticed the front are different. What did you use for the front?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BTW-The ones I bought were the Belltech 8504. I am looking on Summit and the only ones for the front I can find are the Belltech 8001, which is a stock ride height.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Kristin-Hate to bother you more than I already have, but when you replaced your shocks did you do the front & rear? I bought all four (nitro drop 2's) , but noticed the front are different. What did you use for the front?

Thanks

Yes, I bought Nitro Drop 2s for the front and rear. They are different looking in the front because they go inside the coil springs, so they will have a diff looking mounting area that the rears that I remember... cant remember the ones I ordered and I dont see them either on summitracing or stylintrucks for the front hmmm I think you should be good...

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well,

after a LOT of banging with my BFH, I got the ball joints out. You basically have to chisel all of the flange away, then procede to beat the living hell out of the ball joint til it decides to drop out! The press helped some, but I think the hammer worked better.

Anyhow, my drop is done, other than the front drop shocks and alignment. I am ordering the right shocks now. Hopefully they will get here soon so I can get my ram back on the road with a fresh stance and proper alignment.

What should the total drop be? I used the McGaughy's 2, 4.5" kit. I measured 20" from the middle of my wheel to the top of the wheel well on the front pre-drop, 18.4" after, so 1.6". The rear I measured 22.25" pre-drop, 18"after, so 4.25" drop. (That was with removing the overload and adding drop shocks.)

Is this typical? The front I just did, so it may settle and the drop shocks might help as well. I drove it to town today after installing the front to help it settle some.

BTW-I will get pics up asap. Right now I'm just trying to get back on the road!

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man I cant wait to see it! Pics for sure..

I just went out there and measured my gap from the top of my tire to the bottom of the fender over the center of my rim. Mine is 2½ in the front and 3¼ in the rear. (The gap) I measured my stepdad's 04 quad cab right next to my truck. His gap is 4¾ in the front and 8¼ in the rear. Subtract the difference to mine and that's a drop of 2¼ in the front and 5" in the rear. I still have my overload spring on though. And I have 22's

You can still drive your truck with the stock shocks, it's just goin to be a little rough. Did you take off your stock bump stops over the rear axle? I would recommend that or else you're goin to be hittin it on every single little bump in the road.

Congrats!

Terrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill try and messure mine when i get home. I also still have my overload springs as well. as for the bump stops in the back Im just using the bump stops that came with the kit. they are really small...

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
as for the bump stops in the back Im just using the bump stops that came with the kit. they are really small...

Yeah, I bought my kit used so I didnt get any with mine lol

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, mine measures roughly 2" from top of tire to fender in front, a little less than 2" in rear. i think taking the overload out mad me a little too low in the rear. It's 33" from ground to fender in front, 32.75" or so in rear.

Is there any way to cheat out another .5" or so in front? If not, I might just opt for the 4/6 drop. Hate to take everything back off and do it alll over, but I want it to look right. (Not that it looks bad). I know I could put the o/load leaf back in, but if I'm going to do that I'd rather spend that time installing a lower kit.

Any way to cheat the front end for some more drop?

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did remove the rear stop blocks. Sorry, forgot to answer your ??? :)

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The only way I know of removin another .5 in the front would be to cut the coils just a tad to make it match :)

Terrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
measured my truck it 3 inches from top of tire to bottom of fender in the front and 2.5 inches from top of tire to bottom of fender in the rear.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nice... I think everyone's will measure differently b/c of the diff rim and tire combinations we are all running.... need a better way to measure this... hmmm

Terrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man I cant wait to see it! Pics for sure..

I just went out there and measured my gap from the top of my tire to the bottom of the fender over the center of my rim. Mine is 2½ in the front and 3¼ in the rear. (The gap) I measured my stepdad's 04 quad cab right next to my truck. His gap is 4¾ in the front and 8¼ in the rear. Subtract the difference to mine and that's a drop of 2¼ in the front and 5" in the rear. I still have my overload spring on though. And I have 22's

going off of that my truck is 1.5 drop in the front and 5.75 drop in the rear. hmm that sounds odd. I need some drop shocks for the front. maybe that will level me out?