No more frame slap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Guys and Girls, been thinking about this for a while and finally got the pieces I wanted. I don't have the front dialed in, but I'm still changing things. But this is working so well I want to pass on the information I now have and let some of you experiment some. This is so simple i wonder why folks haven't done it before.
The parts list is:
2 Aeon springs p/n A155-55 costs is about $30-$47 each depending where you get them.
2 Mcgaughy’s stubby bump plates. These are the mounting plates that come with the flip kit. If you don’t have the mounting plates, no worries. It is a piece of flat steel about a 1-1/2 wide, 6” long and a ¼” thick. It’ll have a tapped 3/8”-16 hole for the mounting bolt to thread into. I used a old header bolt with the small 5/16” head and still had to grind a socket to slide into the hole to get it tight. It had a little thread showing and I ground it flush with the plate. The pictures will clarify all the verbiage. All I can say is it is a totally passive system that increases the load capability of the rear as much as 1320 lbs without raising the ride height with no more frame slap.

imag0011ea.jpg

imag0010ld.jpg

imag0016k.jpg

The fronts are even simpler, knock the OEM cups off and you will see a hole. Use this hole to mount the Aeon spring p/n A140-65. These have a threaded hole in them and all you need to do is bolt them on using the hole under the cup you just removed. Now I think the actual clearance should be about ½”. So depending on your drop you may have to add spacers to adjust the gap.

imag0028wj.jpg

imag0021u.jpg

These are a little more expensive but still should be under $60 each.

These can be purchased from a guy in Norfolk, Va and he has them dropped shipped from Canada. Ronald @757-675-6832. I have no financial interest in any of this so do has you like.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I forgot about mentioning a alternate mounting method that some might also like and that is to move the mount outboard of the frame. This would give more free travel and still control axle movement. Similar to how airbags are mounted. The A155-65 spring will actually crush to 7/8" thickness which is less than the majority of bump stops. These things are very cool.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmmm.... are you still hittin the bump stops in the rear over big bumps in the road?

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hmmm.... are you still hittin the bump stops in the rear over big bumps in the road?

You can see in the pictures there is some clearance between the rubber piece and the rear axle. When you hit a dip or the axle tries to smack the frame it first comes into contact with the rubber and then is cushioned by an increasing amount of resistance as the rubber is compressed. The rubber piece is actually refered to as a spring. These have been developed for OTR trucks, snow plows to increase load capacities on various trucks. I don't know if they have been used on lowered trucks before. They do what everyone wants their shocks to do, but the shocks can't do it. You don't feel them engage and there is no smack. These really control travel without the overall harshness we have with the other setup's. If we look at the front clearance between the OEM bump of a stock height truck you will see there is also very little compression travel. I worked at increasing the clearance by removing the OEM bump and cup. I now think that is wrong as it has become apparent to me that the factory really doesn't have very good front geomentry and needs the travel to be limited to maintain proper geometry. I have had a lot of alignment work done on Red and the bump steer is still there. Now I am going to use the Aeon spring to control travel and I'll bet the bump steer disappears. I haven't dialed Red in yet because she is being dropped another inch. But that is just a matter of adding spacers to reduce the clearance. Anyway this is my 2 cents... Good luck

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh ok I get it now, I know what you mean about the OTR trucks I have seen those air bag type things on their axles. Seems like it should work pretty well then! Awesome experiment!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We can always count on you for new information!

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
We can't always count on you for new information!

George stop changing the wording....
I do like to experiment, comes with my beer drinking..

Last edited:

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
sweet greg i have a road that gives me troubles i want to experiment with these on

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
With tight shocks and the Aeon springs you will be able to hang with the best of them going down that road.