Post Your Rim/Tire Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Trying to figure out why I am hitting fender still. Wondering what yall are running and if you hit the actual metal fender lip and/or inner fender well too.

I hit both on big dips in the highway such as goin over a bridge and pot holes. So if yall could, post what size rims and tires you're runnin and what drop you have, maybe it'll help me figure out if it's my rims, tires, or shocks.

I have Boss 335 22s with 305/40/22s and Nitro Drop 2 shocks all around with a 2/4.5 drop.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Stock 20" rims with 305/50 tires. If I'm on any kind of slope and turn the wheel to the extreme left or right it'll rub a little on the inside of the fender. But only when those things are done. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Rear:
Tire - 305/45/18
Rims 18x9
5" BS, +18mm offset

Front
Tire - 275/55/17
Rims 17x9
5" BS, +18mm offset

4/6 drop w/ Nitro Drop II Shocks.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
how wide are your wheels? whats the backspacing?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
37x13.50-20 tire
20x10 rim

No rub anywhere
LOL you asked

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
how wide are your wheels? whats the backspacing?

I'm not for certain, but on the Boss website, it shows the wheels to be 22x9. I checked the specs on my tires (305/40/22) and they are 12" wide with a 4.8" sidewall. I'm thinking it is my tires that are too wide. A 275/45/22 is virtually the same, only they are 10.83" wide and not 12".

Do you think that is what the problem is?

37x13.50-20 tire
20x10 rim

No rub anywhere
LOL you asked

GOOBER lol :p

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that fact that you are rubbing when going straight from a bump in the road makes me think its not just a tire width problem. The overall height of those tires is less than stock the 20" tires. Aren't there bump stops or something that limits the travel?

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
True, I put on smaller profile bump stops in the front when I lowered it, maybe that is the problem? Right now, the tires are sticking out a tad past the fender. I'm thinkin the tires are too wide as well....

Edit** I just went out and checked and the bump stops are basically already resting on the lower control arms (i think thats what they're sittin on). Maybe the shocks are too soft? I'll get some pics for yall

Last edited:

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Mine stick out a little past my fender also, but not that much unless you're looking. Sounds like quietpeen has it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just went out and checked and the bump stops are basically already resting on the lower control arms (i think thats what it's called that they're sittin on). Maybe the shocks are too soft? You know those dips in the road when you're about to get on a bridge? Thats where I hit the most on the highway, like the weight of the motor just hits too hard and the tires hit

CIMG2733.jpg

CIMG2742.jpg

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Holy **** .. that bump stop is low .

Also looks like the stock shocks ? If so you need shorter shocks . Think of it this way .. your compressing the shock 100% of the time with the shorter drop springs allowing the shock to not expand and contract causing a unstable ride .

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the Nitro Drop 2 shocks all around... maybe they are too soft tho? Maybe I need stiffer shocks? I have OEM coils but the drop came from the 2" drop spindles

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Can you easily bounce the truck when you push down on the hood ?

Or when driving does the truck bounce ?

The shock is to soft IMO causing the bump stops to hit .

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just went out there and when I put my weight on the front bumper/step thingy it squats a little too easy and I weigh 145lbs... seems a little too easy to squat a truck...but I tried to bounce it and I would say that it does bounce fairly easy. I'm not all that strong and I can make it bounce a little, but not TOO much. But with the full weight of the engine bouncing, I can see that causing the hit

So I'm starting to lean more toward the shocks being the problem as well.. do you recommend a different shock that isn't so soft?

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The only step up from the Nitro Drop 2's I can find are the Belltech Street Performance Shocks. They are also twin tube gas charged but it says this:

"Their low-speed compression characteristics help to control pitch and roll, while their progressive rebound tuning allows you to use large aftermarket wheels and still have a smooth, firm ride. Oversized 55mm shock bodies, 35mm pistons, and 15mm piston rods, combined with vehicle-specific damping tunes, will give you the ride that you are looking for."

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Yup .. those would work .. you def need a stiffer shock .

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
The only step up from the Nitro Drop 2's I can find are the Belltech Street Performance Shocks. They are also twin tube gas charged but it says this:

"Their low-speed compression characteristics help to control pitch and roll, while their progressive rebound tuning allows you to use large aftermarket wheels and still have a smooth, firm ride. Oversized 55mm shock bodies, 35mm pistons, and 15mm piston rods, combined with vehicle-specific damping tunes, will give you the ride that you are looking for."

The red is the key

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
im running 26" rims with 305/30/26 tires im rubing on inner fender well when turning and hitting bumps as well, with the 2/4.5 drop im just going to pull the inner wells out, and under coat maybe fab up some wells that clear better, as far as catching actual lip of fender get the lips rolled better shocks will help to a point but if like me i still get into some pretty big dips

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Alright, well... I guess the shocks are the cheapest fix for now and I can at least order 2 and try them. If that doesnt fix it, then it's gotta be the tires I would think. I am gonna order two right now... Hopefully it works! Thanks for the help so far guys! Cross your fingers for me hahaha :D