question about installing hellwig swaybar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SickAssHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did my research on this 2/4 Mcgaughys kit. im most deff. going to weld the flip kit brackets to the axle & weld the shock brackets too. but i am installing a hellwig sway bar too. do i need to weld the brackets to the axle too on this part? any input? have not read anywhere where somebody welded there sway bar brackets in. Im just trying to find out everything that needs to be done before i install everything.

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the Hellwig and Caltracs on recently. Now I'm gonna put the 2/4.5 spindle drop on. Since this is a work in progress I can't say how it will work out. All I know is that I will take that stuff off and then do the drop. After that my understanding is that I can put it back on and everything will fit back together. No welding is planned but I'll find out if it's required eventually.

This post probably raised more questions than provided answers. I appear to be very good at that. :hmm:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You dont need to weld anything on the swaybar. It is a direct bolton. It is a good idea to weld those spring perches on the flip kit though from the drop. I have seen way too many of these give and do alot of damage.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I put the Hellwig and Caltracs on recently. Now I'm gonna put the 2/4.5 spindle drop on. Since this is a work in progress I can't say how it will work out. All I know is that I will take that stuff off and then do the drop. After that my understanding is that I can put it back on and everything will fit back together. No welding is planned but I'll find out if it's required eventually.

This post probably raised more questions than provided answers. I appear to be very good at that. :hmm:

Only issue you are going to have is with your cal-tracs. Yours are designed to work with your leafs on top of the axle. When you install your rear flip kit, you are going to need new brackets from Calvert to make the caltracs work. Also, if you didnt keep your factory u-bolts, you are going to need those as well.

OP
OP
S

SickAssHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You dont need to weld anything on the swaybar. It is a direct bolton. It is a good idea to weld those spring perches on the flip kit though from the drop. I have seen way too many of these give and do alot of damage.

Thanks alot will deff weld the spring perches.

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only issue you are going to have is with your cal-tracs. Yours are designed to work with your leafs on top of the axle. When you install your rear flip kit, you are going to need new brackets from Calvert to make the caltracs work. Also, if you didnt keep your factory u-bolts, you are going to need those as well.

Yeah. I think we took care of the bracket today (Paypal Rocks!). I don't have the welder skill but i plan on including welding in the install. Lots of shops in my area.

Now, about those factory U-bolts... I don't have them. The shop that installed the Calverts might still have them for a nominal buy-back fee. If they disposed of them I will have to get another set. I'll cross that bridge before I start the install. Gonna be a few weeks anyway.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I did a 2.5/4 drop on my 05 4x4. Welded the axle perches for the flip kit, installed a hellwig rear sway bar, rear helper bags, and caltracs. Everything worked perfectly together! Only thing that needed to be welded was the axle perches, so they don't come unbolted and cause some serious damage.

Here' a vid of mine without the caltracs installed. I actually bought all this stuff from Moes! :********:

[yt]2tztrL9huVI[/yt]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963