Removing overlaod springs - 2002

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow Dancer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well, looks like any further work I do on my Ram is going to have to wait a few weeks. Broke a bone in my left foot clowning around.

I do have a question regarding removeal of the overload spring. After installing the 2" drop shackles and removing the overlaod springs, I have not been able to get the left side to seat back properly on the springs. Left side of axle housgin shifted about 1/2" to the rear.

Anybody else run into this or have suggestions?

Thanks

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
You kept all the alignment pins in right? Had no issues with mine when we did the 2" shackles and removed the ol springs.

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You kept all the alignment pins in right? Had no issues with mine when we did the 2" shackles and removed the ol springs.

This. If the alignment pins are seated correctly it should be positioned right on the axle. I put new ones in when I did mine.

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Oh man. I am going to lower mine soon. Is this Machine Shop work or can a reasonably-mechanically-minded-human do this without spreading a wreck all over the road? Tools I can get. I would appreciate any feedback. (BTW it sounds like the pin went a-missing).

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, looks like any further work I do on my Ram is going to have to wait a few weeks. Broke a bone in my left foot clowning around.

Glad to hear that i'm not the only one limping. Woke up three days ago with a WTF? pain in my left foot. Still don't know what I did but I didn't break anything. Hope you recover fast.

OP
OP
S

Shadow Dancer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
One more week to go with the cast, but I finally have this project finished. Once I had time to take a look at it, I had part of an aftermarket exhaust hanger interfering with the leaf spring after installingin the drop shackle. Ended up putting the overload springs back in, did not like the way it handled when pulling the boat.

OP
OP
S

Shadow Dancer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I also tried doing this one side at a time, bad move. You need to lift and block the rear of the truck high enough to have a jack under the differential to lower the axle at one time.