Shackle/shocks question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the GroundForce 2/4 drop kit on my truck which included torsion keys/new shocks in the front and a flip axle kit/new shocks/longer shackles in the rear. (To sustain a better ride I installed helper airbags which stiffen the rearend)

I have ordered a new enclosed car hauler and my truck already sags in the rear without a trailer hooked up to it. I want to flip the axle back to stock. This will add the helper spring back in to the leafs. However, since I want the back end lower than factory height, I was hoping to install a shorter shackles. I plan to install new shocks at the same time. My question: Will I need a shorter shock due to the shorter shackles that I plan to use?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, max with just a drop shackle you'll only get about 1.25"-1.5" (unless you removed the overloads).

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
To keep your current stance you don't want to relocate the axle. I would look at either heavier airbags or Timbren springs or possibly a combination of both along with a sway bar.

OP
OP
GoMangoMan

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I really only want a 2" drop. The level look and loss of cargo is not appealing to me. With the drop shackles, do I need a shorter shock?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really only want a 2" drop. The level look and loss of cargo is not appealing to me. With the drop shackles, do I need a shorter shock?

No. I have McGaughy's drop shackles with SRT Bilsteins.

DSC01570_zpsdb3222fc.jpg~original