Spindle question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mcgaughys_44001__42274.1425072325.1280.1280.jpg

I bought this 2" drop spindle and installed it on my truck but im still wondering what the hole below the one that holds the top ball joint is for, anyone knows?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The hole is to clear the lower control arm on the '13+ trucks since the spindles are the same across all the 3rd and 4th gen trucks.

OP
OP
Navarabr

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hole is to clear the lower control arm on the '13+ trucks since the spindles are the same across all the 3rd and 4th gen trucks.

Well thanks man, I wouldve never guessed that.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's not the hole you're asking about. The hole in the bottom is for lower ball joint/control arm clearance.

I was also wondering what the extra upper hole is for.

OP
OP
Navarabr

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's not the hole you're asking about. The hole in the bottom is for lower ball joint/control arm clearance.

I was also wondering what the extra upper hole is for.

Ahh youre right lol well yeah would be nice if someone could tell us whats used for.
And just to be clear I'm taking about the whole right next to the top caliper screw hole.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The little small hole? If so, that's where that plastic push pin holder thing that holds the brake line sits in.

The bottom square hole is for the lower ball joints like others said. On the 13+ rams they are bigger and people were having to cut it out themselves. They finally started making them with the hole.

If you talking about the indention at the top above the middle hole, its just there for looks/strength I'd imagine. Nothing sits there if I remember correctly.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I read the question wrong, thought you were talking about the one by the lower ball joint. That tiny hole is for the ABS sensor cable to hold it to the spindle and away from the rotor. The line has a small push pin that will go in there, make sure you use it too, I wore through an ABS cable because it wasn't secured properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Navarabr

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The little small hole? If so, that's where that plastic push pin holder thing that holds the brake line sits in.

The bottom square hole is for the lower ball joints like others said. On the 13+ rams they are bigger and people were having to cut it out themselves. They finally started making them with the hole.

If you talking about the indention at the top above the middle hole, its just there for looks/strength I'd imagine. Nothing sits there if I remember correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you aretalking about hole circled green on the pic right? If so im talking about the one circled red. You think it's just for look/strenght than?

I read the question wrong, thought you were talking about the one by the lower ball joint. That tiny hole is for the ABS sensor cable to hold it to the spindle and away from the rotor. The line has a small push pin that will go in there, make sure you use it too, I wore through an ABS cable because it wasn't secured properly.

I see what you mean, but you're talking about the same hole as ramittome is talking about?

I just went outside and snapped a pic

Attachments

• 2015-09-05 22.51.32.jpg
    2015-09-05 22.51.32.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 73

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The small round hole up top is for the ABS sensor harness to be secured to. I'm glad that Mcgaughys started adding the square hole at the bottom for the lower control arm to pass through on the 4x4s. Saved me from having to do it.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, that hole. Yeah, I have no idea what that hole is for. Lol! Thought you meant the triangular indention facing forward in the very first pic. Maybe the spindle design is from an upgraded stock spindle and they just forgot to take it off? Not sure. I give.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I have no idea either, it's there, doesn't get used on with 2wd or 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk