Tire lean after drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to be honest... That doesn't seem very strong of a setup. In my opinion those brackets should be boxed and welded to the frame. There is a lot of leverage on them. I would prefer to see that made out of C-channel with the bottom welded on.

I only say this, because I don't want you to get hurt.

OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
I did make mine out of 3/16" steel that is thicker than stock & will put a camera pointing at them to see how much movement there is ( I just don't want to put my good camera there(I don't have a Go pro)).

& yes stock looks like c-channel - I could not find any that would work, but if you have some one that can bend flat steel to the proper measurements that would be great.

& I put high grade 9/16" bolts to replace stock & short bolts in the back to hold the plates to the original plate.

Here are the measurements & template.

Note: the 2 bottom holes are wider that stock slot length since I elongated them by a 1/4" or so, that is why there is no measurement there.

camber%20plate%20measurments_zpsp86syaw8.jpg

Last edited:

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I kinda had the smae thought about strength as well as pull through. You could add a top plate welded across then sorta like a cap to add some strength from an opposite direction like a c provides

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. This is what I would suggest (as someone who used to go rock climbing with my jeep):

1. Cut out (same gauge plate) a square and get someone to tack weld it behind the 2 plates (engine side).

2. Also, cut a strip and tack weld it above the plates (it can be a thin strip on top towards the engine side of the top that goes across like a hat). Make sure you can still insert the upper control arm into the bracket after. See picture below.

3.Then remove the boxed bracket, have it fully welded. It now will have strength in left and right, and front and back. It shouldn't take much money, or time.

4. Once it is fully welded, I would weld it to the frame. If you weld it, you really only need run two beads across the frame on either side of the boxed plate where it sits on the frame. Keep using the bolts, but the welds will prevent movement, which will eventually happen. If you only weld there, it would be very simple to remove later (If needed) with an angle grinder but cutting at the welds.

This is what I would do, but it is up to you. But either way, looks good!

See Picture: (Red plates, and welds on each side of the bracket)

Attachments

• Frame Bracket.jpg
    Frame Bracket.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
gotta admit, if you can make those, and prove they are strong, for people like me that are on or very close to the ground and need to raise our uppers, a bolt on raised upper control arm mount would be freakin killer!

Id be your first customer

OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
gotta admit, if you can make those, and prove they are strong, for people like me that are on or very close to the ground and need to raise our uppers, a bolt on raised upper control arm mount would be freakin killer!

I would not want the liability that goes with that.

You could almost make you own,

I used:
1- a cut off wheel - 5", & 2" for dremel
2 - Drill with bit
3 - Paint

just takes time, of if you know somebody with a plasma cutter, would be easier.

Im still going to look for a square tube or u-channel so it has a more support.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice man! Just looking at it it's hard to believe that the adjustment bolt holds the arm from moving haha. I may need to get on a project like this :naughty:

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You mean something like this? :naughty: There's no way I would want a bolt on setup. It's not that much work to cut the stockers off and weld these on.

http://michiganmetalworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=63_95&product_id=83

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could not find stuff like this when I looked online.

I am lucky enough due to my years of building a bagged mini truck along with a race car to know people who know things like this. I stopped by a local shop that did some of the welding work on my old Nissan to get a quote on welding up my roll pan and tailgate and to check out some of the bagged projects they always have going on and the guy that I've known for 10 years that runs the place saw the Ram and starting talking about his old bagged Ram and told me that Michigan Metal Works sells all the parts for the Ram 1500 to bag it the right way, so I went and checked out the website and remembered seeing the brackets there and thinking they would work very well on my truck whether I bag it or not.

I haven't decided whether I'll eventually bag mine or not, but it's always good to know who has the right parts and who is recommended instead of trying to patch it together.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
You mean something like this? :naughty: There's no way I would want a bolt on setup. It's not that much work to cut the stockers off and weld these on.

02-05 / 06+ Dodge Ram Raised Upper Control Arm Brackets

oh yeah I know the MMW guys well, I do agree about welding everything on, don't get me wrong, but I have a shop and the means to make that happen these days, but back in the day, when the budget was really tight and welding wasn't an option to me, something bolt on and reliable would have been an awesome option

Hemigawd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Parts

Hi heavy d. What kind of upper control arms and lower ball joints do you have? Or have you replaced them yet?

What size wheels do you have?

I have 24 inch Dub's on my rig and I think the wheel weight is contributing to my going through ball joints!

I also have s negative camber problem. I m considering making plates just as you had...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Hi heavy d. What kind of upper control arms and lower ball joints do you have? Or have you replaced them yet?

What size wheels do you have?

I have 24 inch Dub's on my rig and I think the wheel weight is contributing to my going through ball joints!

I also have s negative camber problem. I m considering making plates just as you had...

I replaced upper control arms - I forget which brand
& did replace lower ball joints as well.

I had 17" on the truck, but I now have 2012 20" dodge rims see siggy.

& if you can afford go with the brackets from - 02-05 / 06+ Dodge Ram Raised Upper Control Arm Brackets

as stated in post from Demon-HeMi - could save a lot of time & problems.
But my plates have not move or giving me any problems since I put the last ones on.

I made my own cause I could not find anything like the above link.
Just remember that the above link ones need to be welded in.
Im actually thinking of buying them & redo mine.