Whats wrong with this ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I took my over load springs out "top ones" and took all of the spacers out that sit on the bottom..Total of 4 on each side and moved them to the top.Well today I got new tires and rims on and this is what I have

My Driver side tire is sticking out a lot further then the passenger side.So I start thinking what is wrong.Pulled the rims and measured everything double checked em and even swapped them side to side and I still have my driver side tire out further.

So I get to thinking what else could it be..So I think well my axle is not centered and upon looking really close I could see my shock leaning to one side.So I get a tractor hook to the hitch and raise the rear end,loosen the U bolts and push on the axle,put tires back on and measured it while still hanging in the air and everything was right on at that point.The I let the truck down and I am back at the start.Another thing to keep in mind is the truck is not on level ground and is not drive able at the moment so its not like I can drive it and see if something falls into place.

Some measurements
From frame to inside of tire
Passenger side 8 inches
Driver 9 and 1/8

Fender well to top of the tire
Passenger side 10 7/8
Driver side 12 1/8

Here are some pics
Passenger Side
ba031254-1.jpg

Driver Side
dba6e917.jpg

Driver Side
51fcd264.jpg

Passenger Side
37a5c886.jpg

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm could it be the wheel itself? Like maybe it is diff than the rest?

That is really weird

[tapatalkin]

OP
OP
W

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I swapped the wheels pass to driver and nothing changed.Called rimz online and they had me double check numbers on the back of the wheel and everything checked out fine.Even walked me threw on how to make sure them rim wasn't bent.I been at it since noon today and this has got me stumped

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
That is really odd. I'm stumped... I keep thinking of things to look at and I then think differently... idk. Our rear axle assembly is very simply laid out, so you would think it wouldn't be hard to notice what's going on, but from your pics, idk...

OP
OP
W

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have talked to a few people this evening and one said to leave the truck on the ground,loosen the U bolts and try to move the axle over.Said things change when there is weight on em.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I know on the 1500 diffs there is only one place the springs can go and no way to have any side play as I upgraded to HD springs but on the HD diff dunno.

I suggest a pointed compass measurement check be done from outside of the outside u-bolt to the bolt head on the outer diff backing plate. if they are the same you are good, its a short distance so should be easy to check.

AKA HITMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Had the same problem when I lowered my S10. I removed both leaf spring shackle UBolts at the same time and when I installed the lowering blocks, I was way off. Passenger rear wheel was almost 1 inch out. Had to loosen and align. Took about an hr. in my case.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i might be wrong, but in that pic it doesn't look like you removed the overload spring. I thought the overload spring was the one on the bottom that was installed with the curve going opposite of the leaf springs

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Was gonna say the same thing Peen.

In your picture, the overload spring is still installed. It's the lower flat spring piece.

If your not on level ground, which is apparent by your differences in heights from fender to tire, that may be your problem. Put the truck on level ground or jack up the rear end and put something under that tire to make them level.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
ahhhhh yes the OL spring is the one on the bottom good catch

OP
OP
W

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
But the 3500's have the two over load springs em them well 3 total really.It has the big bottom one which you guys pointed out and it also has 2 thinner leafs on top of the spring back.

But it is fixed

Loosed all of the U bolts up and lifted it up on the hitch so the axle could hang,I a strap and warped it around the axle and pulled easy and slow measured everything and it was fine while it was off the ground.After I let it down it was still off so I left a little bit of a load on it and pulled a little but with the strap and boom 1 3/4 on both side's.Measured everything that some of the guys told me last night like frame to tire and it is all good.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
oh, didn't even think about you having a HD lol.

glad you got it worked out.