06 mega cab 1500 lift and wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadianmega

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a 2006 dodge mega cab 1500. I want to lift it and put some new wheels on it. But have no idea what to get. I'm not gonna do too much off roading, mostly street drivinge. If I put a 4 inch lift, level it (I believe the 3/4 ton has a 2 inch offset), will 35's be a good size? Will there be clearance issues? What's a good brand for a lift kit? What are some of the better tires for the rams? Is a 4 inch lift with 35's a good combo?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that would be a good lift to tire ratio. As for lifting a 3/4 ton, I'm not sure. A lot of people like cooper tires, but depends on if you want mud tires or street tires.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I leveled my '07 MegaCab and put on 35's (Toyo Open Country AT's 285/75X18 which are 34.7" tall) and had no problem.

Wheel2.jpg

030713%20Ram_zpshm149edc.jpg

A 4" lift will fit 35's with no problem.

Lift kit brands are up to you but I'd stay away from Cooper tires, especially the Discover STT ones. They were super noisy and as they wore down a bit, I was always having to re-balance them. Decide if you need a MT or AT tire (I liked the AT tires as I was on the road a lot and once in a while was off road - The AT's did fine) before you go out and buy something.

Lots of tire choices out there and most of them are pretty comparable.

I personally would compare BFG K03's, Toyo Open Country, Goodyear Wranglers, Nitto and General.

OP
OP
C

Canadianmega

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maddog, nice truck! did you do just a level on yours? If I do that, as well as a 4 inch lift. Should I go larger than 35's? I don't want an out of proportion kind of look (like tall truck with little wheels)
Yours appears to be just the right ratio

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lift kits will also level the truck out.
I would recommend Thuren or Carli, both are great quality. I have Thurens and I like how they ride.
35's are perfect for a 2-3" level. I had 35's for a short while but went back to 33's (305/55/20's).
.: THUREN FABRICATION :. 2003-2009 CTD COILS will give you 4" of lift with the Hemi. Add some longer shocks ( Their overland shocks ride nice at a good price), longer control arms, longer sway bar end links, track bar and blocks for the rear and you should be set.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maddog, nice truck! did you do just a level on yours? If I do that, as well as a 4 inch lift. Should I go larger than 35's? I don't want an out of proportion kind of look (like tall truck with little wheels)
Yours appears to be just the right ratio

Thanks. I miss my old megacab but it never really ran right after this:

DSC_0021_zps84c86190.jpg

20150108_150931_zps68d6fd8f.jpg

I really liked how it looked when it came out of the body shop:

20150206_151612_zpsd11b6bf7.jpg

I fixed it up but I had a lot of sensor, computer and drivetrain (transmission, differential, axle) problems with it. Early one morning all of a sudden all the dash lights lit up, all the chimes came on and as things went blink blink and bong bong...it died. I managed to get it started again, it was in limp mode and that's what I did all the way back home...limped it at 30 MPH. I fixed another problem but decided right there it was time to move on. I traded it in on a 2014 BigHorn 2500 with the 6.4L HEMI. Funny thing...it was running like a top the day I traded it in. Maybe it was tired of me!

032815%2001_zpspugpesef.jpg

I swapped over the wheels and tires from the MC to the 2500, then did a 2" level on that one. It all worked out.

All I did with the MegaCab suspension was a 2" level and new shocks. It was just enough, along with the offset on the wheels, to clear everything.

4" lift on top of that would make 35's look small, IMHO. I could be wrong, though. But you might be able to picture it 4" taller with the 2" level pics I posted.

37's would be nice but as the tire size goes up, so does the weight of the tire. 35's kinda bogged mine down (with 3.73 gears) so I got a programmer and used one of the standard tunes on it to give me a bit of a boost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota