2004 Leaf Springs - Is this right? (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I figured the "lifted" forum would have the most experience with this question... Are my leaf springs still good or shot? They seem almost straight, infact a slight upside down arch on the axle. Is this normal?

Quick background.. 2004 1500 5.7L. I am original owner, 80k miles. I never really noticed the leafs until about a year ago.

Suspension is all original, except new upper/lower ball joints afew years back. I'm wondering if I should be replacing all 4 shocks at this point, 11 yrs old?

I tow a boat on a regular basis, never had any issues though. I have had several "questionable" loads in the bed over the years (rock and sand) that made the axle hit the stoppers. Other than that, truck gets regular use.

Thanks for any insights.

Attachments

• IMG_4971.jpg
    IMG_4971.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4972.jpg
    IMG_4972.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4973.jpg
    IMG_4973.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 107

Darrell85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because you are hauling with the vehicle, it is best to replace the shocks every 50,000 miles or 5 years. you will notice a difference in the ride quality.

Darrell85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you took the picture was the vehicle loaded or unloaded

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
They look exactly like mine. I will be replacing mine shortly, with you towing and hauling a lot I would recommend the 2200lb leafs.

OP
OP
B

Big Chief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The pics were taken with NO load. Also forgot to mention (2wd), when looking at the truck from the side, it looks "even", maybe only slightly lower in the rear. Meaning... I see alot of people say they buy spacers for the front to even out the truck... mine looks like that now... with no modification (to give you an idea).

So I figured new shocks were needed also... question... if I swap the springs in the rear to 1 step up... would I still use OEM replacement shocks or would they need to change also? Do they need to match?

Thanks,

As for loads, I tow a 4000lb boat weekly... never had a single problem with it. Its pretty well distributed on the trailer.

In the past... I have loads as high as 2000-2500lbs of sand, rock, sod, etc in the bed... and towed 10,000lb equipment. It was on these loads, I started to question to suspension. Things have changed now... so I wont have to worry about these loads in the future. I love my truck... she hauled every load with no issues...

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The leafs in my 04 also looked like that. I actually had an add a leaf done for each pack by a local spring shop (National Spring) and it helped a ton since I regularly haul motorcycles and all our associated gear to the race track. Everything gets loaded into the truck so I push it to load capacity just about each time. The add a leaf did raise the rear end up some but the stock spec shocks still fit fine. I run Bilstiens.