4" Spindle lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToboJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I currently have an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 1 1/2" Daystar coil spring spacer leveling kit. I've been having major issues with my lower ball joints failing. Is this due to the coil spacer? If I was to remove the spacer and add a 4" spindle lift would the truck still ride rough or would it be more smooth?

Also, how difficult would it be to remove the coil spacer and install the spindle lift?

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 1 1/2" Daystar coil spring spacer leveling kit. I've been having major issues with my lower ball joints failing. Is this due to the coil spacer? If I was to remove the spacer and add a 4" spindle lift would the truck still ride rough or would it be more smooth?

Also, how difficult would it be to remove the coil spacer and install the spindle lift?

Spacers can make the ride more rough, where spindles will keep a smother, more stock like ride. As far as the spacers being the direct cause of the ball joints failing I'm not sure. Difficulty depends upon the tools at your disposal, your patience, and your skill level working on the truck's suspension. With the right tools and know-how it can be done in the drive way. There are a lot of install videos and write ups out there, Google them and do some research on it to get a feel for what you'll be doing.

OP
OP
T

ToboJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Spacers can make the ride more rough, where spindles will keep a smother, more stock like ride. As far as the spacers being the direct cause of the ball joints failing I'm not sure. Difficulty depends upon the tools at your disposal, your patience, and your skill level working on the truck's suspension. With the right tools and know-how it can be done in the drive way. There are a lot of install videos and write ups out there, Google them and do some research on it to get a feel for what you'll be doing.

I do have all the tools at my resource. Would you have a recommendation on what brand to use for spindle and ball joints? What are the differences between a $350 eBay spindle from a $750 MaxTrac spindle?

Also, I've heard Moog ball joints are the go-to, but I'm not trying to break the bank on ball joints. Is there another brand that's just as good as Moog?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard Mevotech makes pretty good stuff. Make sure you get greasable joints.

Can't help ya on the spindle Q tho.

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have all the tools at my resource. Would you have a recommendation on what brand to use for spindle and ball joints? What are the differences between a $350 eBay spindle from a $750 MaxTrac spindle?

Also, I've heard Moog ball joints are the go-to, but I'm not trying to break the bank on ball joints. Is there another brand that's just as good as Moog?

I'm not sure which ebay spindles you are referring to, but off the top of my head I'd say the biggest difference with the MaxTrac might be that it is a whole 4 inch lift kit with coil springs, spindles, brake lines, shocks, etc. for $750. The spindles with brake lines as a kit is around $500. As far as actual quality difference I have no experience at all with eBay brand, someone on here might but not me. I have the 7" lift kit from MaxTrac for my truck (not installed yet) and the parts seem very well made, very high quality and they also have a very large amount of popularity on these forums. As far as ball joints go, Moog definitely has the popular vote though I'm not too savvy on the subject. NAPA brand greasables also seem to have a good name for ball joints. Hopefully someone else can give some better insight on the ball joints for you.