best shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have a 04 1500 4x4, it has keys in the front, add a leaf in back, and bfg 37's, ive tried rancho rsx 9000, rough country 5000, but they all ride like crap. im tired of the rough ride, when i go down my dirt road it seems like i cant get over 15mph or it bounces all over the road. so what should i put on it to get my smooth ride back? i really miss how it use to ride, its not lifted other than that and have no plans to lift it more than it is. i have plenty of cleareance for my 37s so what do yall recomend?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Bilsteins or Fox would be my choice.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
First thing go way down in air pressure, like 20 pounds and see if you like it. That is free, but will cost you a little gas mileage. When you tow or carry a load you should raise them back up.

Do not get entry level Bilsteins if you don't like a rough ride. I think you are in a bad spot, because if you go for comfort I doubt you will like the way your truck will respond especially around corners with those 37's. I might look at getting some type of air bag for your front coil to soften the ride or remove the coil all together and go with a dual bag setup, and stay with firm shocks. I think most of these are for a solid axle, but I would search for something like this. You also will be able to find these for your back for sure. I had your generation truck a long time I ago but I forgot the front suspension setup, and it was a 2500 anyhow. This is the direction I would go though, maybe do the back first because you can find those for sure, and see if it helps.

An air bag and a coil will do the same function, so another option is to find a softer spring. The difference is you can adjust an bag at will, but your stuck with the coil. I would try to find a bag for the front, if not possible I would get a softer coil, but don't get softer shocks, this you would regret.

If you were going to stay with changing shocks, find a dual reservoir adjustable shock. If you go too soft you will not be able to turn for chit. I had soft shocks on a Bronco and even though the shocks I bought were too firm, I would rather deal with that then dealing with a soft shock will going around corners, or even if you have to steer fast to avoid something, you will just be upside down.

Looks like about 300 bucks for the rear.

TowKit_Dodge4x4_Front.jpg

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i have a 04 1500 4x4, it has keys in the front, add a leaf in back, and bfg 37's, ive tried rancho rsx 9000, rough country 5000, but they all ride like crap. im tired of the rough ride, when i go down my dirt road it seems like i cant get over 15mph or it bounces all over the road. so what should i put on it to get my smooth ride back? i really miss how it use to ride, its not lifted other than that and have no plans to lift it more than it is. i have plenty of cleareance for my 37s so what do yall recomend?

You won't get the stock ride back being that you have cranked the torsion bars. I don't know how much you cranked them, but assuming that you are close to level, and that most add-a-leafs add about 1.5", your front end is cranked well over 2" esp if you are clearing 37's..probably closer to 3+"

Either live with the stiff ride or uncrank the torsion bars and run a 33"- 35" tire. You will never have a smooth or remotely close to stock ride with your torsion bars cranked that hard. Plan on replacing your front end components often with that much stress on them.
It's the torsion bars controlling your rough ride, not the shocks.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First thing go way down in air pressure, like 20 pounds and see if you like it. That is free, but will cost you a little gas mileage. When you tow or carry a load you should raise them back up.

[COLOR="Red"]I would not recommend doing that, 20psi is way too low.. remeber the ford Explorer mishap? Thats an accident waiting to happen.
[/COLOR]

Do not get entry level Bilsteins if you don't like a rough ride. I think you are in a bad spot, because if you go for comfort I doubt you will like the way your truck will respond especially around corners with those 37's. I might look at getting some type of air bag for your front coil to soften the ride or remove the coil all together and go with a dual bag setup, and stay with firm shocks. I think most of these are for a solid axle, but I would search for something like this. You also will be able to find these for your back for sure. I had your generation truck a long time I ago but I forgot the front suspension setup, and it was a 2500 anyhow. This is the direction I would go though, maybe do the back first because you can find those for sure, and see if it helps.

An air bag and a coil will do the same function, so another option is to find a softer spring. The difference is you can adjust an bag at will, but your stuck with the coil. I would try to find a bag for the front, if not possible I would get a softer coil, but don't get softer shocks, this you would regret.

Being a 2004, he has torsion bar front suspension unlike your 2010 with coils.
If you were going to stay with changing shocks, find a dual reservoir adjustable shock. If you go too soft you will not be able to turn for chit. I had soft shocks on a Bronco and even though the shocks I bought were too firm, I would rather deal with that then dealing with a soft shock will going around corners, or even if you have to steer fast to avoid something, you will just be upside down.

Looks like about 300 bucks for the rear.

TowKit_Dodge4x4_Front.jpg

With his torsion bars being cranked as hard as they are, no shock combo will help him gain a softer ride, unfortunatly ....for him..

OP
OP
Reaper26

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ok, what about softer torsion bars? ive looked but havent found any. i have a 96 nissan and done the same to it and there were a few companies that made softer bars for it so it wouldnt be so stiff.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok, what about softer torsion bars? ive looked but havent found any. i have a 96 nissan and done the same to it and there were a few companies that made softer bars for it so it wouldnt be so stiff.

The increased ride height comes from pre-loading the torsion bars (cranking). When you pre-load the torsion it's going to be stiffer because there is only so much flexing that the bars can do. The closer you get to their limit the more resistance there will be ( harshness/firmness).
Cranking the bars causes them to apply more downward pressure which in turn raises the vehicle.
I haven't heard of any aftermarket torsion bars for our trucks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He has 37's which I believe can run 50 psi, so I was suggesting running in the 30's psi. It isn't ideal, but his 37's aren't going to be at risk. Just deflate it until you see give, not until they look flat. The bottom line is he can't stand his ride and it sounds like it isn't safe. lowering air pressure will give him a softer ride. Just curious if the original poster is still interested, if so post up your current air pressures, maybe that is already part of the problem.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The type of tire will determin the max PSI it can run, not the size. He should be running close(within a few psi) to OEM recommended tire pressure for his vehicle. I agree that he shoud post up his tire pressure, it could be contributing to te harsh ride.
And I misunderstoodyour last post, I thought you suggested that he run 20psi inhis tires, not drop it 20 (if he were running 50+) Sorry.

OP
OP
Reaper26

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i am running 50 psi, from time to time il go down around 40-45 it rides better but uses more gas, so i guess if theres really nothing else i can do ill just have 16mpg with a stiff ride, and it still handles fine, its tight and very quick to respond, it corners life a dream at high speeds, i scare my friends all the time they think cuz of the big tires it wont hold a turn but it does!!!

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with bilsteins all around. they ride really nice for a lifted truck

Attachments

• front susp.jpg
    front susp.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 40