Body lift vs Suspension lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had my '03 1500 for a few months now and have learned it's capabilities offroad. I quite clearly need some type of lift to continue to do what I have been doing. Im in school so money is limited, I was thinking a leveling kit and 3" body lift would do, but that would run me over $500-$600cad. 4" suspension kits seem to run $800-$1200. I have the stock tire size on now, but I think I'll run 35"s when I get new tires (maybe 37"s, but I want to avoid any rubbing). My question is does anyone know of a cheaper way to do a body lift? Maybe piecing it together rather than a kit or something. I just dont want to spend $600 for plastic spacers and some brackets when I could spend a bit more to get a proper suspension kit. Thanks

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A body lift isn't gonna help you for what you want to do. Save up a little bit and spend the money on a suspension lift.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Exactly what Justin said. A body lift simply gives you more room for larger tires. It won't give you any more ground clearance for offroading. You'll definitely want to save up for a full suspension lift.

Also, you won't be running 37's on a 4" lift on a 1500. 35's will be the max and you wouldn't want to go any larger for offroading reasons again.

stev0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002, 2007
Engine
4.7, 4.7 flex fuel
Exactly what Justin said. A body lift simply gives you more room for larger tires. It won't give you any more ground clearance for offroading.

except that larger tires WILL give you more ground clearance. So yes, a body lift & bigger tires will give you more ground clearance

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Suspension lifts give you ground clearance at the frame which can be very important depending how long your wheel base is. Bigger tires give clearance at the axles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My theory (from the world of short wheel base jeeps), the ideal situation is a combination of both suspension AND body lifts. You want a small body lift to give you that extra for one or two larger tires than you can get from a suspension lift. The reason for this is, it does not raise the center of gravity as much as the equivalent suspension lift. So, when off camber (leaning to one side), it will help reduce the risk of rollover.

People knock body lifts, but they do serve their purpose when used with a suspension lift.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
except that larger tires WILL give you more ground clearance. So yes, a body lift & bigger tires will give you more ground clearance

We're talking 1" or less more clearance from a tire in this situation. Practically nothing... So a suspension lift is still the way to go.

OP
OP
A

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any Canadians have any suggestions on where to look for this sort of thing? Shipping from most places is mildly exorbitant, and the current exchange rate is not helping at all.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
One of our sponsor here is a Canadian based company with many outlets across the country :

Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance

They specialize in exactly the sort of things you are looking for.

Depending on where you are located in Canada, there could other local shops that also retail the body and suspensions lift parts and kits.

Try this little google search and replace "in Canada" with "Near <Your town name>"
Suspension Lift kits in Canada

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any Canadians have any suggestions on where to look for this sort of thing? Shipping from most places is mildly exorbitant, and the current exchange rate is not helping at all.

Check out North Shore Offroad or Sorat Wheel and Tire. Both are based out of Vancouver but I believe they ship Canada wide.