Control arm help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram'em

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi "inside"
Hey guys, I need some help and not sure if this is where I need to post. Took my truck to the dealer to have the steering rack replaced and also install Bilstein 5100. They just called telling me they can't get the bolt out in the lower control arm cause it's spinning. So they tell me I need to replace the control arms and it's about $500 just for each control arm. Would be about $1200 or more with labor etc... So I need to know if this makes sense at all especially the price and what you guys think my other options are! Thanks for any help!!!

OP
OP
Ram'em

Ram'em

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi "inside"
I should add that they told me I couldn't just cut the bolt and replace the bushing cause I guess Dodge doesn't have those parts available. Sorry guys I don't know a hell of a lot about suspension stuff.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
What kinda truck is it and year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
Hey guys, I need some help and not sure if this is where I need to post. Took my truck to the dealer to have the steering rack replaced and also install Bilstein 5100. They just called telling me they can't get the bolt out in the lower control arm cause it's spinning. So they tell me I need to replace the control arms and it's about $500 just for each control arm. Would be about $1200 or more with labor etc... So I need to know if this makes sense at all especially the price and what you guys think my other options are! Thanks for any help!!!

I've ordered from Rockauto.com and have great results with their products and shipping. for your truck, you have several options but they will be a do it yourself deal....

2008 DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP 5.7L V8 Control Arm | RockAuto

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They arnt trying hard enough to get the bolt out. On my buddies 07 1500 it took some major persuasion but we got them out. Tell them to put their purses down and swing instead of trying to **** you with new parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of them just won't come out and you'll just hog more stuff up trying to beat the **** out of it. Mine wouldn't come out either.

Since the dealer has it there will be no cheap option. But they can cut the bolt and press in a new bushing. That's not rocket science but they're just trying to sell you a more expensive part.

Cheapest thing to do would be to pick the truck up from them, pick up a new control arm from rock auto with all new bushings and ball joints for 100 bucks, and bolt it in. You'll need an alignment afterwards.

My lower control arm bushings went out a while back. Dealer wanted like 1600 dollars to do the job. I picked up all 6 new bushings for 100 dollars and pressed them in at a friends garage. Paying a dealer to do anything should come with a bottle of lube for that ****** you're about to get.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah rockauto has the bushing in question. It's sold with a new nut and bolt for around $20, made by Monroe. I think it's called the strut lower fork bushing, or something like that. It's in the suspension> control arm section.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't buy the bushing though. They're a huge PITA To remove and install. Just buy a whole new control arm with the bushings already in it.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't buy the bushing though. They're a huge PITA To remove and install. Just buy a whole new control arm with the bushings already in it.

Good to know. I need new bushings in my LCAs, and was planning on buying just the bushings to save some cash.

OP
OP
Ram'em

Ram'em

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi "inside"
Thank you all for the help. I didn't let them do it, no way I was paying $500 for one lower control arm. I mean damn just looked on rockauto now and it's $83. Wonder how different the OEM part is. Problem is now I have to figure out how it's going to get done cause I simply have no time to get involved with it. Either way Rockauto is my best choice I guess!

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had to cut my lower rear driver control arm bolt when we did my lift and just got a bolt to replace it. My dads the parts manager at our local dealership and he had no problem finding it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. I need new bushings in my LCAs, and was planning on buying just the bushings to save some cash.

It might be a couple bucks cheaper to do the bushings but trust me. You do NOT want to press those bushings out and back in lol. I think it's within 20 bucks to just get a whole control arm with the bushings and balljoint already installed.

In my case, my bushings were fully seized in the control arm. As we were trying to press them out, it was bending the whole control arm. Ended up being a 3 day job with 2 people. Had to torch out the rubber on all 6, then hacksaw and chisel the bushings out, without damaging the control arm.

Once the truck is apart, you can unbolt the old control arm and bolt a new one in within 5 or 10 minutes. If I ever have to do it again, this is 100% the way I'll be doing it.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might be a couple bucks cheaper to do the bushings but trust me. You do NOT want to press those bushings out and back in lol. I think it's within 20 bucks to just get a whole control arm with the bushings and balljoint already installed.

In my case, my bushings were fully seized in the control arm. As we were trying to press them out, it was bending the whole control arm. Ended up being a 3 day job with 2 people. Had to torch out the rubber on all 6, then hacksaw and chisel the bushings out, without damaging the control arm.

Once the truck is apart, you can unbolt the old control arm and bolt a new one in within 5 or 10 minutes. If I ever have to do it again, this is 100% the way I'll be doing it.

I will always just replace the control arms. Upper and lower. It's not much more money and you get new bushing and a new ball joint, it's stupid not to

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if your truck being a northern truck makes a difference? I read that the strut bolts were a super huge pain the butt, but mine came out like butter. Not saying that I'm going to go with the bushings over the whole arm, but it's intriguing to save money when I can.

OP
OP
Ram'em

Ram'em

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi "inside"
I wonder if your truck being a northern truck makes a difference? I read that the strut bolts were a super huge pain the butt, but mine came out like butter. Not saying that I'm going to go with the bushings over the whole arm, but it's intriguing to save money when I can.

Probably has a lot to do with it. I only have 45k miles and barely drove it in the winter but everything is all rusty in there makes me sick. Hopefully it won't happen anymore cause I don't drive it in the winter anymore. Anyways I ended up ordering new Moog control arms but it's still expensive by the time it's all set and done.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Definitely. I've done new poly bushings and it took two days with a blow torch to get all the old rubber out. Putting the new ones in was easy, but prep sucked. Buy new LCAs from rockauto and you'll save a lot of time.

OP
OP
Ram'em

Ram'em

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi "inside"
Thanks for the help guys, it's been done as I stated in post #16. Glad I went that route, was better off. I actually ordered Moog LCA's from Summit.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looked at mine today. The oem bushing has a metal insert almost covering the bushing in between it and the arm. Is that included with the new bushing? Orr do you just take all that out and put a new bushing in. Will be ordering parts, whether it's bushings or new arms near the end of the month.