Decent 2-2.5 simple lift kit. Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have been planning my trophy truck "appearance" type build and im going with fiberglass fenders so a monster 6 inch lift is not needed, or my style.

Just looking for a simple 2.5 ish lift. 07 ram quad 4x4

I see the daystar KC09105BK... but...the strut extension being urethane looks like wobble, squeak, and rattle all over. Truthfully some of the ebay kits look of better quality and more heavy duty.

I would much prefer a billet aluminum strut extension. Or the sandwich steel plate design....I think anyways?

Am I nuts for thinking some of these cheap kits are a more solid option?

Steel Lift Kit | Front 2.5" Rear 2" | Dodge Ram 1500 2006-2008 4WD | eBay

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most will recommend Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks in the front to achieve 2" level up front. If you go 2.5" I heard you get more vibration from the cv axles or something. Depending on what tire size you're looking to get, you might be good with a 1" block which rough county has a kit with blocks, u bolts and shocks for around $120 I think.

If you want spacers instead of shocks, go with Hellbent steel spacers.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most will recommend Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks in the front to achieve 2" level up front. If you go 2.5" I heard you get more vibration from the cv axles or something. Depending on what tire size you're looking to get, you might be good with a 1" block which rough county has a kit with blocks, u bolts and shocks for around $120 I think.

If you want spacers instead of shocks, go with Hellbent steel spacers.

Thanks for the input. i read a few places the axle vibration is anything over 2.8. And 3's for sure. So I figured 2.5 will be ok.

Fiberwerx claims 35 on stock and 37 on a level 2 inch. Probably just go 35 and 2 inch or 2.5.

If anyone knows better or different im 100percent all for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These types of extensions should also install without having to completely remove the coil over...so thats a plus too.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hellbent steel spacers simply install on top of the coil overs.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The hellbent steel spacers simply install on top of the coil overs.

ya thats what i'm getting at. they are basically a strut extension, and you don't have to take out the dreaded lower shock bolt to get these in.

I installed urethane coil spacers in a jeep once. It rode nicer, but it squeeked and rattled something terrible. i'm thinking the hell bent is the way to go. Then i'm not messing with disassembling a coil-over.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the daystar 2" spacers at first on mine. I had no issues at all with them. It still had pretty good rake even with that spacer but I'd recommend the bilsteins at 2.8 anyway over any spacer. It's better for your suspension and 2" just wasn't enough height.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having need with my struts before, I don't see how you would be able to install it with leaving the coil over in there. The upper mounting area has quite a bit of cover over the top of the strut, and it won't come down enough without taking the lower strut bolt out. Just spray it with lubricant once a day or twice a day for a week before you do it. Should help a lot.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having need with my struts before, I don't see how you would be able to install it with leaving the coil over in there. The upper mounting area has quite a bit of cover over the top of the strut, and it won't come down enough without taking the lower strut bolt out. Just spray it with lubricant once a day or twice a day for a week before you do it. Should help a lot.

you can't just stand on the lower control arm and pry them "out" enough to bolt the extensions on?

I have had the plastic liners out 10 times. It appears that there would be adequate room, but i havent tried it on one of these...so guess we will see.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the daystar 2" spacers at first on mine. I had no issues at all with them. It still had pretty good rake even with that spacer but I'd recommend the bilsteins at 2.8 anyway over any spacer. It's better for your suspension and 2" just wasn't enough height.

I think you're describing an internal spacer that rides on the coil spring though correct? The ones are looking at simply bolt on top of the existing coil-over...so you don't even need a spring compressor.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm running 2.5 Top gun customs steel spacers up front with the .75 steel spacer in the rear. Easy install and gave me the look I was going for. Ran the same kit on my 2012 with no issues for 85k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you have the option of using the 5100s to level your truck, use them. They will ride much better and be much better on the suspension system than any of the spacers.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you have the option of using the 5100s to level your truck, use them. They will ride much better and be much better on the suspension system than any of the spacers.

My earlier post was incorrect, i apologize. I have standard shocks, they are not the leveling type.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think you're describing an internal spacer that rides on the coil spring though correct? The ones are looking at simply bolt on top of the existing coil-over...so you don't even need a spring compressor.

Nope mine bolted on top. My buddy currently has mine on his 08 cause I gave them to him when I bought my lift and 5100's and they're fine on his to. As Justin said tho the 5100's are a better choice, they ride great and have a lifetime warranty also. Win win.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope mine bolted on top. My buddy currently has mine on his 08 cause I gave them to him when I bought my lift and 5100's and they're fine on his to. As Justin said tho the 5100's are a better choice, they ride great and have a lifetime warranty also. Win win.

Gotcha, I literally just replaced my shocks this summer, and did lower strut bushings at the same time. i had $800 in that...so i'm not looking to just toss my new shocks. Maybe thats not the smart way to look at it...but idk. I kept thinking they are bils, but they were kyb's. none of these simple lift kits are expensive however. I just wasn't sure about the urethane versions. My jeep was a squeek machine after i put them on it. just talking out loud i guess.

I decided after that i'm in this truck for the long term, and want to paint it, and make it unique, so unfortunately the 5100's weren't in the discussion at the time.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

did you remove the strut completely? or just pry the control arm down and bolt them on top?