Having hard time finding good info on front shocks for 2" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got an 04' Ram 1500 QC, and I'm wanting to crank up the front bars a little to level out the front end...probably a 1.5"-2.0" lift.

Because of the extra lift, if I keep the stock front shocks....they are going to be extending to the stops all the time, and that's not good.

I've done some searching through the forums, and I've been finding all kinds of info on front shocks with a level kit....but it's all over the place.

Some guys are saying that the stock length Bilstein shocks are what I should use.

Some guys say to use the stock oem shocks, and just add some lower mount extenders.

Some guys say that you need the locker 5100 Bilstein shocks.

Some guys are saying that you need the 5100's but need to add longer bump stops so you don't bottom out the longer than stock shocks.....I haven't really found enough of the same info out here to really trust any of it.

When I go to the Bilstein suspension page, they don't even list shocks for the 04' Dodge Ram 1500.....for some reason, most aftermarket suspension places don't either. Is the 3rd get Ram an oddity when it comes to suspension?

Any info on the prop front shocks and parts I should get would be a huge help! Thanks

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why not just buy a kit that has everything included already like shocks springs etc..

OP
OP
I

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why not just buy a kit that has everything included already like shocks springs etc..

The 04' have the torsion bars up front....no springs. I haven't found anyone that sells a complete leveling kit with shocks. All you do is just crank up the torsion bars a little to raise the front up...no real "kit" needed. But since you are riding around taller, you will hit the extension stops inside the shocks sooner....so you need a longer shock to fix that issue....but then you run into the problem of bottoming the longer shocks out faster with longer shocks.....

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
rough country has a level kit that has everything.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really depends on what you do with the truck. I cranked mine 1-1/2 which is easy with stock torsion keys. I think it rides better. I kept my stock shock setup because I stay on the road when at all possible. If you are going to play with it a little there is a chance the shocks could reach the end of their travel. For that they make a little shock extension bracket that is ultra cheap.

If you want to jump sand dunes you better just spend some money to keep from destroying things.

OP
OP
I

IQRaceworks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It really depends on what you do with the truck. I cranked mine 1-1/2 which is easy with stock torsion keys. I think it rides better. I kept my stock shock setup because I stay on the road when at all possible. If you are going to play with it a little there is a chance the shocks could reach the end of their travel. For that they make a little shock extension bracket that is ultra cheap.

If you want to jump sand dunes you better just spend some money to keep from destroying things.

Where do you get those from?

Tyy1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I went with rancho rs5000 series shocks in my 03 4x4 when I cranked front up 2". I figured I was due for new ones anyway. Rancho website has the exact number of shock - they accommodate up to a 2" lift. They were fairly inexpensive as well.