Issue with 5100 struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRDvorak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 quad 4x4. I just installed a lot of new parts in the front end. 2 new lower oem control arms w/ball joints. Upper ball joints and a new set of 5100 adjustable struts. I am starting to put everything together and now I can't get the upper ball joint in the knuckle. I have the truck on jack stands and I try to raise the control arm with a jack and it isn't compressing the spring at all.

Can someone give me some insight on what I have to do to get the top ball joint in the knuckle.

I was told by Bilstien to raise my truck 2" I needed to use the top grove in the shock.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I replaced my struts, I had to use a pry bar to pull the upper control arm down to the knuckle as best I could while tightening it. Not hard when you're alone, but an extra pair of hands would help. From what I've seen, top notch raises it 2.1".

OP
OP
J

JRDvorak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your response. The reasons for the new lower control arms is because Oreillys gave me the wrong lower ball joints. I got them pressed in however not all the way. Henes having to buy new lower arms. The problem above is a direct result of installing the wrong ball joints in the upper arms as well. DONT INSTALL MEGA CAB BALL JOINTS IN A QUAD CAB!!!!!!!!! In my defense I didn't know they were selling me parts for a Mega cab. I told the guy what truck I had and I assumed I was getting the correct part.

When I replaced my struts, I had to use a pry bar to pull the upper control arm down to the knuckle as best I could while tightening it. Not hard when you're alone, but an extra pair of hands would help. From what I've seen, top notch raises it 2.1".

OP
OP
J

JRDvorak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At Oreillys there computer does not have the term Quad Cad they only have Crew Cab and Mega Cab.