Lets talk shocks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Ok everyone, I have a 2003 Ram. I getting ready to crank the keys up to 2" and put some bigger tires on. I was told to replace the shocks when I do this because the stock shocks will be over extended and will clunk when I hit bumps or pots holes. So my question is what shock(s) is the best bang for the buck?

From what I've read online, people are swearing by the bilstein 5100. I've also heard they were adjustable too. I really don't know a thing about shocks so if I level my tuck 2" then obviously I'll need to get shocks 2" bigger then my factory shocks? I'm probably going to replace my rear also. If I replace the rear and because the shocks are adjustable, does this mean I can lift the rear an inch or so without having to add a leaf spring?

I know I'll need an alignment after I crank the torsion keys so I was just going to have the shop replace the front shocks for me while they were working on it. The rear seems pretty easy I'll probably just do them myself.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Also I didn't know if this belonged in the "Lifted" Thread or the "Exterior" .

OP
OP
B

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Well I've done alil more research..turns out you can't get Bilstein 5100 for 2002-2005 4x4 1500 Rams. They only make the 4600 model and they will only fit a standard height Ram. Sooo..back to the drawing board.

Anybody have any recommendations on what shocks to use with a 2" level or if anybody wants to share what they're running on their 2002-2005 1500 leveled Rams?
Pics would be greatly appreciated!! :)

OP
OP
B

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
45 Views and no opinions???? Come on guys

DTECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not all 5100s are adjustable and the rears are not adjustable. as far as the suspension goes theres a limit on up travel and down travel. The truck has bump stops for the up travel and in some cases Dodge uses the shocks as a limiter for the down travel. So adding 2" of lift doesn't necessarily mean you need 2" longer shocks. If your set on 5100s you will need to use a shock from a similar size truck that fits the specs needed.
On my 06 ram 2wd I have a spindle lift and will be adding a spacer. I am using 5100s off a chevy pickup that are 1" longer but come with the 7" kit and are rated for 1-2.5" lift spacer or coil.

I found a part number that may work for you truck, its for a chevy that uses torsion bars for up to a 2.5 inch lift. its approximately 1" longer

24-186735

you can order them through performancelifts.com or google it..as far as the install goes you should be able to install all 4 in your driveway using a jack.

hope it helps...

OP
OP
B

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
not all 5100s are adjustable and the rears are not adjustable. as far as the suspension goes theres a limit on up travel and down travel. The truck has bump stops for the up travel and in some cases Dodge uses the shocks as a limiter for the down travel. So adding 2" of lift doesn't necessarily mean you need 2" longer shocks. If your set on 5100s you will need to use a shock from a similar size truck that fits the specs needed.
On my 06 ram 2wd I have a spindle lift and will be adding a spacer. I am using 5100s off a chevy pickup that are 1" longer but come with the 7" kit and are rated for 1-2.5" lift spacer or coil.

I found a part number that may work for you truck, its for a chevy that uses torsion bars for up to a 2.5 inch lift. its approximately 1" longer

24-186735

you can order them through performancelifts.com or google it..as far as the install goes you should be able to install all 4 in your driveway using a jack.

hope it helps...

Thank you Dtech, I was starting to wonder if I was just wasting my time on here. I really don't know a lot about shocks enough to buy a set. Thanks again!!

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I would like to find a chart that is helpful in the selection of shocks, similar to the tire threads on sizing. I am also interested in the Bilsteins since they are so highly rated... but I am a little over taken with how to figure out the correct sizing that is needed for "X" application.

You are correct that you can't get front 5100's for 2002-2005 4x4 1500 Rams, but you are able to find the 0"-1" rear shocks. Let’s talk about that for a minute...

(Rear) Bilstein PN: 24-185783 Specs: lapsed Length (IN): 16.16, Extended Length (IN): 26.14 This shock comes up when I seach for my vehicle

(Front) Bilstein PN: 24-186735 Specs: Collapsed Length (IN): 11.3, Extended Length (IN): 15.76 This is for a Chevy/GMC (may or may not work on my truck)

Lets say I put a 3" or even an 8" lift on the truck... how are you to measure and find the right sized shock for your application? I will assume that a factory sized shock will not work on a lift higher than so many inches...

I really HATE asking for help, but I'd really like a point in the right direction for being able to figure this out and be able to calculate my own numbers. I am in the process of planning out a build and want to wait till all my numbers and parts are the way I like them. I am probably completely overthinking something simple, but would still appreciate a push.

:emotions122:

Last edited:

Ares_288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
I would like to find a chart that is helpful in the selection of shocks, similar to the tire threads on sizing. I am also interested in the Bilsteins since they are so highly rated... but I am a little over taken with how to figure out the correct sizing that is needed for "X" application.

You are correct that you can't get front 5100's for 2002-2005 4x4 1500 Rams, but you are able to find the 0"-1" rear shocks. Let’s talk about that for a minute...

(Rear) Bilstein PN: 24-185783 Specs: lapsed Length (IN): 16.16, Extended Length (IN): 26.14 This shock comes up when I seach for my vehicle

(Front) Bilstein PN: 24-186735 Specs: Collapsed Length (IN): 11.3, Extended Length (IN): 15.76 This is for a Chevy/GMC (may or may not work on my truck)

Lets say I put a 3" or even an 8" lift on the truck... how are you to measure and find the right sized shock for your application? I will assume that a factory sized shock will not work on a lift higher than so many inches...

I really HATE asking for help, but I'd really like a point in the right direction for being able to figure this out and be able to calculate my own numbers. I am in the process of planning out a build and want to wait till all my numbers and parts are the way I like them. I am probably completely overthinking something simple, but would still appreciate a push.

:emotions122:

My advice would be to call your local 4x4 shop and ask.