Leveling front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I'm sort of confused on the information on leveling the front end that I get from buddies.

My truck has a 3" body lift on 35 inch tires and 20 inch wheels.

But my front end is a lot lower than the rear.

People say get a set of leveling keys, others say get leveling spacers, others say the stock keys will lift the front end up and aftermarket keys aren't necessary.

Can someone give me the low down on leveling the front end?

I know I have the factory keys on it now, but when someone says the truck has a body lift, does that only lift the rear end and then they crank the factory keys up front to lift it up with it?

Are there any drawbacks of leveling the front end? Are there any advantages of keeping the front end rake lower than the rear?

Also if I level the front will I need an alignment?

Thanks guys

*edit* - thought my **** had a body lift already. Thought wrong.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
The body lift actually moves the body farther away from the frame which is why most people don't do it till they have maxed out suspension. But yes you can crank your keys to get level or get aftermarket keys. The cranking I've heard makes the ride a bit rougher. And there is t drawbacks to leveling but you'll probably need to get an alignment afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Would it be better to crank the keys or weld in frame spacers in the front?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Your truck has torsion bar suspension so leveling spacers aren't applicable. The easiest way to level it out is to just crank up the key adjustment a bit. You'll be able to get about 2" out of them which will bring your truck close to level. Just jack up the truck to take the weight off the front tires, get under it and crank up the adjustment bolts an even amount per side, lower it down and then roll it back and forth to get it to settle. You will need to get a front end alignment once it's all done to get everything back in spec but that's it.

Torsion keys aren't necessary for this application as they do the exact same thing as cranking the torsion bars up.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck has torsion bar suspension so leveling spacers aren't applicable. The easiest way to level it out is to just crank up the key adjustment a bit. You'll be able to get about 2" out of them which will bring your truck close to level. Just jack up the truck to take the weight off the front tires, get under it and crank up the adjustment bolts an even amount per side, lower it down and then roll it back and forth to get it to settle. You will need to get a front end alignment once it's all done to get everything back in spec but that's it.

Torsion keys aren't necessary for this application as they do the exact same thing as cranking the torsion bars up.

This

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you guys recommend putting new keys in? I have a set of bigger torsion keys is it worth it to install those or just crank the **** out of the stock keys?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Would you guys recommend putting new keys in? I have a set of bigger torsion keys is it worth it to install those or just crank the **** out of the stock keys?

Since you already have them you can throw them in if you want to spend the time on it. However either method is going to give you the same result in the end.

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you already have them you can throw them in if you want to spend the time on it. However either method is going to give you the same result in the end.

Alright my only concern is just cranking the keys is a lot easier than installing new ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk